Institute of Far East inaugurated as an annual affair.
Physical Education major established.
Gill Coliseum formally opened as the largest building in the state with no internal structural supports to hinder spectator views. Events were first held in the facility in Noember 1949.
President Strand appointed by President Harry Truman as one of a five-person commission to study economic conditions in the Philippines.
Population in Corvallis: 16,207; in Benton County: 31,570; in Oregon: 1,521,341.
Pharmacy curriculum made five-year instead of four; one of the first in the country to establish this curriculum requirement.
Wiegand Hall completed.
Western Interstate Cooperation in Higher Education (WICHE) began service.
"Benny Beaver" makes regular appearances at football games as a costumed student.
Science Research Institute established.
Withycombe Hall completed.
An all-college Faculty Day initiated.
Elementary Education program established.
Joint degree program in education established between Oregon State College and Oregon College of Education (now Western Oregon State College).
The name of the institution officially recognized on April 15 by the Oregon Legislative Assembly as Oregon State College.
First issue of Oregon's Agricultural Progress published in October.
New football facility, Parker Stadium, (now Reser Stadium) dedicated on October 24. After its grandstands were removed, Bell Field was used for track & field.
Azalea House (women's co-operative housing) opened in September. It was named for Azalea Sager, a former State Home Economics Leader with the Extension Service, who was "instrumental in promoting interest and obtaining the necessary funds for building and furnishing the house."