Survey of Oregon higher education conducted by the United States Office of Education.
Population in Corvallis: 7,585; in Benton County: 16,555; in Oregon: 953,786.
Veterinary Dairy Barn erected.
Reduced funding to the college resulted in:
- College staff reduced by 66 positions
- Each staff member donated one day's income each month for five months for unemployment relief
- Staff salary cut initiated by staff members
Reorganization of the Oregon State System of Higher Education adopted on March 7; operational management of OSSHE to be by a Board-appointed Chancellor.
Celebration of President William Jasper Kerr's quarter century of service as president of Oregon State College on June 4.
On September 6, Kerr appointed as the first Chancellor of the Oregon State System of Higher Education.
As a consequence of higher education reorganization, the School of Science (E.L. Packard, Dean, 1932-1938) and the Lower Division of Liberal Arts and Sciences (M. Ellwood Smith, Dean) established at Oregon State Agricultural College; the School of Commerce was transferred to the University of Oregon; Landscape Architecture and Structural Design in Architecture became a joint curriculum (OSC and U. of 0.); and the School of Mines was discontinued.
Institution name changed to Oregon State College by common usage; although the official name, Oregon State Agricultural College, as used in the catalogs, did not change until 1937.
George Wilcox Peavy, Dean and Director of Forestry, and senior member of the Administrative Council, appointed acting president (October 10, 1932-January 15, 1934).
The donation of 520 acres northwest of Corvallis by Mary McDonald served as the nucleus for the future McDonald Forest (currently 6,811 acres).
Secretarial Science reinstated to degree granting status, under Dean of Business Administration at the University of Oregon.
Graduate Division (George Rebec, Dean) established on September 11.
First annual Dad's Weekend organized.
Non-major departments, exclusive of military and physical education, grouped together under the Lower Division and Service Departments administrative unit.
The 1933 OSC “Ironmen” football team break the 25 game winning streak of USC on October 21, 1933. The eleven Beavers played the entire 60 minutes without substitutions. The game ended in a 0-0 tie, the only time in NCAA history that a National Champion team was tied or defeated without any substitutions.
Enrollment dropped to 1,960 students during the 1933-34 academic year.