Forest Experiment Station established.
Technical assistance contract signed between Oregon State College and Kasetsart University, Bangkok, Thailand. The contract ran through 1960.
College library named the William Jasper Kerr Library (current library building completed in 1963, remodeled in 1998 and renamed Valley Library).
Oceanography program established with funding from the Office of Naval Research.
Heckart and Reed Lodges (co-operative housing) opened.
Milam Hall west wing (addition) dedicated.
OAC alumnus Linus Pauling was awarded the Nobel Prize for Chemistry on December 10th in Stockholm, Sweden, ""for his research into the nature of the chemical bond and its application to the elucidation of the structure of complex substances."
Chemical Engineering Building (now Gleeson Hall) completed.
Model United Nations met at Oregon State College on April 4-7; 500 students from 70 western colleges and universities attended.
Oregon State College staff members of Physical Education conducted a sports clinic in Japan.
In December, the Faculty Council changed its name to the Faculty Senate.
National Science Foundation designated O.S.C. as one of the professional schools for Academic Year Institutes.
Art Department inaugurated a series of International Print Exhibits.
Co-ed Cottage (women's co-operative housing) purchased (built in 1926 as a sorority house). Today it is Oceanography Administration.
International students: 143 from 38 different countries.