1900-1904

1900

The first president of the Student Assembly (now known as the Associated Students of Oregon State University), Charles H. Horner, elected in January.

Four-year curriculum in mining established in the Department of Chemistry.

Students' Athletic Union organized.

Twelve Farmers' Institutes held during the year.

New Mechanical Hall (now Apperson Hall) dedicated June 30.

For the 1900-1901 academic year, all athletic programs were prohibited by the Board of Regents.

U.S. Commissioner of Education defined subjects of instruction for land grant institutions under the Morrill Acts on December 7.

Department of Commerce established; the 11th in the United States and the first in the Pacific Northwest.

College grounds: 198.91 acres in size, of which 35 acres constituted the main campus.  First sewers installed.

Enrollment: 405 for 1899/1900 academic year.

Population in Corvallis: 1,819; in Benton County: 6,706; in Oregon: 413,536.

1901

Four-year Literary-Commerce curriculum organized.

First Branch Experiment Station established at Union (15 miles southeast of La Grande).

Dr. James Withycombe appointed Director of Experiment Station.

Debut of OAC men's basketball; W. O. Trine, coach (1901-1903).

Self-sustaining Department of Music established.

Trysting Tree stone memorial presented to the college by the senior class of 1901; the first in a tradition of class gifts to the university. Prior to this presentation, each class planted a tree as a memorial to the college.

1902

The Agricultural College of the State of Oregon joins the Northwest Intercollegiate Association.

"Lady of the Fountain" presented to the college by the senior class of 1902.

Publication of the Agricultural College Bulletin series initiated (continued until 1932; 423 bulletins issued).

New Agricultural Hall erected. It was later known as Science Hall and in 1940 remodeled as Education Hall. Today it is Furman Hall.

Corvallis was characterized by wooden sidewalks, unpaved roads, and unlighted streets. One train a day arrived and departed for Portland. There was one freight boat from Portland to Corvallis weekly.

1904

Approval given by the Board of Regents to allow international students to attend the college for the first time.

Cadets with a Cannon, ca. 1900

Cadets with a cannon, ca. 1900

View of Mechanical Hall soon after construction

Mechanical Hall soon after construction, 1900.

Trysting Tree

Trysting Tree

1901 Board of Regents

1901 Board of Regents

Agriculture Students with a Sheep, ca. 1900

Agriculture students with a sheep, ca. 1900

Basketball Team, 1904

Men's Basketball team, 1904