- Check from AHP to Israel Fauer for $24.00. [Filed under LP Biographical: (Business and Financial: Bank Statements and Canceled Checks, February 1956-December 1957), Box #4.024, Folder #24.1]
- Check from AHP to Linda Pauling for $50.00. [Filed under LP Biographical: (Business and Financial: Bank Statements and Canceled Checks, February 1956-December 1957), Box #4.024, Folder #24.1]
- Letter from Archie M. Palmer to Mr. J.P. Youtz RE: Appreciates Youtz calling attention to the error in the Nonprofit Research and Patent management in the U.S. with respect to LP and his institutional affiliation and explains that they will correct the error with the insertion of an erratum slip in the remaining copies of the book. Tells Youtz that he must accept some responsibility for the error because he failed to answer their letters and give the information requested in them. [Filed under LP Science: (National Academy of Sciences, 1955-1969), Box #14.021, Folder #21.1]
- Letter from Archie M. Palmer, National Academy of Sciences, to LP RE: Encloses a copy of a letter Palmer has written to J.P. Youtz in reply to his letter of 17 July. Palmer regrets missing the error before the book went to press but will correct the error by the insertion of an erratum slip in the remaining copies. [Filed under LP Science: (National Academy of Sciences, 1955-1969), Box #14.021, Folder #21.1]
- Letter from LP to Alsoph H. Corwin, Johns Hopkins University, RE: Explains that reprints on recently developed molecular models are currently unavailable. Provides the reference, "Molecular Models of Amino Acids, Peptides, and Proteins," by R. B. Corey and LP. [Letter from Corwin to LP June 5, 1956] [Filed under LP Correspondence: (C: Correspondence, 1956), #74.24]
- Letter from LP to Anneliese Wenzel RE: Thanks Wenzel for her manuscript of empirical regularities in a specific spectra. Suggests that she speak with Professor Platt. [Letter from Wenzel to LP June 16, 1956] [Filed under LP Correspondence: (W: Correspondence, 1956), #444.4]
- Letter from LP to Frank Toole, University of New Brunswick, RE: Discusses chemical engineering courses at Caltech. [Letters from Toole to LP June 8, 1956,November 24, 1956] [Filed under LP Correspondence: (Toole, Frank J.), #407.8]
- Letter from LP to Fred B. Eiseman. [Filed under LP Correspondence: Box #112, Folder #22]
23 July 1956
Mr. Fred B. Eiseman, Jr.
Chairman, Science Department
John Burroughs School
755 South Price Road
St. Louis 24, Missouri
Dear Mr. Eiseman:
On my return to Pasadena from a European trip I hare found your letter of 31 May.
As to the question as to whether or not it might be worth while to publish some of the material described in Section III, I would say that it may be that the Journal of Chemical Education would be interested in a short description of this experiment. I would suggest that you restrict the discussion pretty largely to the successful experiment, with 20 helixes, and describe a little more definitely how the helixes were suspended randomly. The editor of the Journal would, of course, make the decision about publication.
- Letter from LP to Helene H. Fineman, Yale University Library, RE: Discusses a quotation by Benjamin Franklin from 4 December 1789 and its relevance to an address made by Senator Clinton P. Anderson at a meeting of physicists. [Filed under LP Correspondence: (F: Correspondence, 1956), #128.21]
- Letter from LP to Jean A. Hoerni, Shockley Semiconductor Laboratory, RE: Looks forward to seeing Hoerni's manuscript on the free electron method. Says it was a pleasure to have Hoerni at Caltech. [Letter from Hoerni to LP June 27, 1956] [Filed under LP Correspondence: (H: Correspondence, 1956), #167.1]
- Letter from LP to Kamal K. Ghosh RE: States that he finds Ghosh's electronic periodic classification of elements undesirable and impractical. [Note from Ghosh to LP July 21, 1956] [Filed under LP Correspondence: (G: Correspondence), #140.20]
- Letter from LP to Marshal Fichman. [Filed under LP Correspondence: (F: Correspondence, 1956), #128.21]
Marshal Fichman Linus Pauling 23 July 1956
It has occurred to me that it might be possible to make an electrode that would measure the concentration of cyanide ion, and to use this electrode to determine the endpoint in the cyanide titration of ferrihemoglobin.
The electrode that I have in mind is similar to the calomel electrode. You might look in the literature, to see what you can find, about the use of the calomel electrode to determine chloride ion concentration.
The proposed cyanide electrode would consist of liquid mercury, in contact with a wire; solid mercurous cyanide, and solution. I do not know whether the solubility of mercurous cyanide is small enough to permit such an electrode to function.
- Letter from LP to Prof. Carl D. Douglass, School of Medicine, Little Rock, Arkansas, RE: Supports the nomination of Dr. Llewellyn H. Jones for the Southwest Regional Award. [Filed under LP Correspondence: (D: Correspondence, 1956), #98.21]
- Letter from LP to Professor Domenico Marotta, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Italy, RE: Thanks Marotta for inviting LP and AHP to come to Italy, for arranging such a fine program, for including their daughter Linda, for arranging the presentation of the insignia as Grande Ufficiale del Ordine al Merito della Reppublica Italiana to LP, and for the sending the photographs. [Letter from Marotta June 25, 1956] [Filed under LP Speeches: 1956s.25]
- Letter from LP to Professor Domenico Marotta, Secretary General, Italian Chemical Society, RE: Pleased to hear that as an Honorary Member of the Italian Chemical Society, he will be sent La Chimica e L'Industria. [Letter from Marotta to LP June 18, 1956] [Filed under LP Speeches: 1956s.25]
- Letter from LP to V. G. Vaidya RE: Suggests that Vaidya obtain a Ph. D. and then attempt to obtain a post-doctoral fellowship at Caltech. [Note from Vaidya to LP June 15, 1956] [Filed under LP Correspondence: (V: Correspondence, 1956), #427.16]
- Letter from N. Fogliaresi, Secretary World Council for Peace, to LP RE: The World Council of Peace has sent out an Appeal to the governments of the world and is also sending a copy to LP. The Secretary asks LP to send any comments or questions he has on the Appeal. [Filed under LP Peace: (Assorted Peace Groups, Wo-Yo), Box #4.017, Folder #17.1]
- Letter from W. Beautyman, Pittsfield General Hospital, to LP RE: Informs LP that Gregory S. Duboff recently presented forged documents with his application to the hospital laboratory claiming a M.S. degree course from the University of Colorado and a Doctor of Science degree from the University of Edinburgh. [Letters from LP to Beautyman July 17, 1956, August 14, 1956] [Filed under LP Correspondence: (D: Correspondence, 1956), #98.21]
- Letter from W.H. Freeman, W.H. Freeman and Company, to LP RE: Expresses pleasure that LP will come to a dinner in San Francisco in August. [Letter from LP to Freeman July 20, 1956, Letter from Freeman to LP July 25, 1956]
- Research Notebook of LP RE: Correspondence: Linus Pauling to Marshal Fichman re: electrode measurements of cyanide ion concentration, July 23, 1956. [Filed under LP Research Notebooks: 17R]