George Wilcox Peavy, B.L., M.S.F., Sc.D., LL.D. (January 15, 1934-June 30, 1940), appointed by the Oregon State Board of Higher Education as the seventh president of Oregon State Agricultural College. Peavy was the first faculty member to be appointed the permanent president of the college. He continued as Acting Dean of Forestry during his presidency. President Emeritus and Dean Emeritus (1940-1951).
Mary J. L. McDonald Collection and Rare Book Room presented to the College.
The income of the college was 41 percent lower than in 1933.
First Ph.D. degrees conferred (three in Science and one in Agriculture) during the 65th Commencement.
Summer Session extended to ten weeks: first session, six weeks and second session, four weeks.
Recognition of tenure by the Oregon State Board of Higher Education.
Professional engineering degrees (Ch.E., C.E., E.E., M.E.) established on April 22.
Frederick Maurice Hunter, Ed.D., LL.D. (1935-1946), became the second Chancellor of the Oregon State System of Higher Education (OSSHE). William Jasper Kerr became Chancellor Emeritus on September 1.
State tuition scholarships authorized by the legislature.
School of Education established a Guidance Clinic.
Horner Museum of the Oregon Country dedicated on April 27.
Student Health Service Building (currently Plageman Hall) erected.
Oregon State Chapter of Sigma Xi (National Science Honor Society) installed.
Name of the institution officially changed to Oregon State College.
A fire nearly destroyed the Agricultural Engineering Building (now Gilmore Hall) on September 9 - $36,593 in damages to the building and contents. Building reconstructed and enlarged in 1939.
School of Engineering and School of Home Economics celebrated their 50th anniversaries.
New Chemistry Hall (now Gilbert Hall) dedicated on December 2.
Nursery School erected.