- Check from AHP to Mrs. Elizabeth Gillette for $25.00. [Filed under LP Biographical: (Business and Financial: Bank Statements and Canceled Checks, February 1956-December 1957), Box #4.024, Folder #24.1]
- Letter from A. S. Johnson, National Carbon Company, to LP RE: Invites LP to the dedication of the new National Carbon Company research laboratories. Includes details of the event and of the laboratories. Note on bottom left corner reads, "Ans'd - can't come." [Letter from Larson to LP August 9, 1956] [Filed under LP Correspondence: (N: Correspondence, 1956), #287.23]
- Letter from C. E. Larson, National Carbon Company, to LP RE: Discusses travel details and possible expenses of a trip to attend the dedication of the NCC's new research laboratories, to which LP is invited. [Letter from Johnson to LP August 9, 1956] [Filed under LP Correspondence: (N: Correspondence, 1956), #287.23]
- Letter from Harry S. Mosher, Stanford University, to LP RE: Asks LP to write a letter of recommendation for Harold Johnston to receive this year's California Section Award. Briefly discusses the award. [Letter from LP to Mosher August 17, 1956] [Filed under LP Correspondence: (M: Correspondence, 1956), #257.1]
- Letter from K. Venkataraman, The University, Bombay, to LP RE: Requests a reply to his June 28 letter concerning an upcoming visit to Caltech. [Letter from LP to K. Venkataraman August 7, 1956, Letter from Edward W. Hughes to K. Venkataraman January 31, 1957] [Filed under LP Correspondence: (V: Correspondence, 1956), #427.16]
- Letter from LP to Jaques M. May, League for Emotionally Disturbed Children, Inc., RE: Addresses a letter sent to Linus Pauling, Jr. which he believes to have been intended for LP. Declines the invitation to serve on the League's Professional Advisory Committee but recommends his son for the position. [Filed under LP Correspondence: (M: Correspondence, 1956), #257.1]
- Letter from LP to Professor Francesca Giordani, Chemical Institute, University of Naples, RE: Thanks Giordani for sending the photographs of the dinner. Pleased to have these photographs to be reminded of their pleasant visit to Naples. [Filed under LP Speeches: 1956s.25]
- Letter from LP to Ralph W. G. Wyckoff of National Institutes of Health RE: Thanks Wyckoff for the electron micrographs he sent. [Letter from Wyckoff to LP August 1, 1956, Letter from LP to Wyckoff September 17, 1956] [Filed under LP Correspondence: (Wyckoff, Ralph W.G./Rockefeller Institute for Medical Research), #438.13]
- Letter from LP to W.H. Freeman, W.H. Freeman and Company. [Letter from LP to Kudlacik July 25, 1956, Letter from Freeman to LP August 15, 1956] [Filed under LP Correspondence: (W.H. Freeman and Company, 1956), #439.14]
August 9, 1956
Mr. W. H. Freeman
W. H. Freeman Company
660 Market Street
San Francisco, California
I am writing because I have checked up on the book "The Structural Chemistry of Proteins," by H. D. Springall, Butterworth's Scientific Publications, London, 1954.
The book is 376 pages. As I said, I think that it would be an excellent textbook for an advanced course on the chemistry of proteins.
However, I see after the title page a statement, "U.S.A. edition published by Academic Press, Inc., Publishers, 125 East 23rd Street, New York 10, New York." I judge that this means that there is an American edition.
- Letter from Reuben Borough to LP RE: Thanks LP for letting Boroughs and Associates renew his insurance with them. Also mentions that if LP's previous agent sends him any new policies to promptly cancel them. [Filed under LP Biographical: (Business and Financial: Insurance Documents, 1930-1991), Box #4.042, Folder #42.1]
- Letter from W.H. Freeman to LP RE: Informs LP that the date for publication of the third edition of College Chemistry is April 1960 and so the manuscript for revision should be delivered to them by summer of 1959. Notes several major points regarding the revision. Handwritten note by LP: "To AHP, to keep." [Filed under AHP: Organizational Correspondence.), Box #1.008, Folder #8.1]
- Newspaper Clipping: "Passport Denial Aired by Nobel Prize Winner" Los Angeles Free Press, August 9, 1956. [Filed under LP Newspaper Clippings: 1956n.8]
- Telegram from Katharine Hamill, Fortune, to LP RE: Asks for permission to publish a portion of LP's letter to Miss Lape in a September column. [Telegram from LP to Hamill August 9, 1956] [Filed under LP Correspondence: (F: Correspondence, 1956), #128.21]
- Telegram from LP to Katharine Hamill, Fortune, RE: Gives permission to quote his letter to Miss Lape. [Telegram from Hamill to LP August 9, 1956] [Filed under LP Correspondence: (F: Correspondence, 1956), #128.21]