John Garman was born in Urbana, Illinois, in 1896. When he was two, his family moved to Portland. After graduating from Benson Polytechnic High School in 1916, Garman enrolled at OAC. After his first year, he entered the Army and served as an instructor. After WWI, he returned to OAC, and completed his B.S. in Physics in 1922. In 1923, he became an instructor in Engineering. In 1924, Garman began teaching photography for the Physics Department, which he continued doing until his retirement in 1966. In 1969, he helped the Art Department set up classes when that department assumed the teaching of photography. In the 1920s, Garman, with Ed Yunker, established Photographic Services at OAC; Photographic Services is now part of OSU's Communication Media Center. In 1925, Garman married Florence Goff; they had three children. Garman passed away in November of 1989.
A gallery of Garman's images is presented on the pages that follow.