The OSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives Research Center reading room is dedicated to the use of patrons examining SCARC materials and is not open for general reading, study or research. All patrons using the SCARC facilities are expected to abide by the rules detailed in the Researcher Registration Form.
The reading room, located on the 5th floor of the Valley Library, includes access to self-service scanning (available for use free of charge), staff photocopying, a microfilm digireader and audio/visual equipment. Click here for a virtual tour of our facilities.
All OSU Valley Library facilities comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Use of SCARC for Events
The Special Collections and Archives Research Center receives many requests for use of its facilities for events. In order to maintain normal operations and provide adequate access for researchers, SCARC can only accommodate a limited number of these requests.
All requests for use of the SCARC facilities will be considered under the following conditions:
- Requests are received at least two weeks in advance.
- Event closures are limited in duration and of minimal impact to regular hours of service (SCARC's public hours during the academic year are 10am to 6pm, Monday through Friday).
- All coordination of event catering, equipment, promotion, etc. will be conducted by the individual/organization making the request, in consultation with SCARC personnel.
- SCARC staff is available to oversee setup and teardown of event furniture, equipment, catering, etc.
- Event setup, teardown, and post-event cleaning are not deemed excessive.
- Event attendance will not exceed 55 individuals at one time in the reading room facility. (in accordance with safety guidelines)
Please note: A strong preference will be given to events incorporating materials from SCARC’s holdings and/or relating to SCARC’s primary collecting areas.
Photography and Videography Sessions
The SCARC reading room is a popular location for photo and video shoots for many campus organizations. In addition to the general guidelines, these requests will be considered under the following conditions:
- The shoot will take place between 8am-10am, Monday-Friday or at another non-public time pre-arranged with SCARC staff.
- The shoot will require no/minimal movement of SCARC furniture and/or equipment.
- A list of SCARC collection materials to be photographed or filmed (if any) will be provided at least one week in advance for vetting.
All requests may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org and will be considered by the Public Services Coordinator in consultation with the Director of SCARC and other staff.