- Letter from Dr. G. W. Beadle to Douglass Poteat, Executive Vice President, American Cancer Society, Inc., cc: LP RE: Informs Poteat that Dr. Theodore T. Puck arrived at Cal Tech on September 3, 1947. [Letter from Douglass Poteat to Dr. G. W. Beadle July 18, 1947, memo from G. W. Beadle to LP August 4, 1947] [Filed under LP Correspondence: #312.12]
- Letter from Dr. Martin Kamen, School of Medicine, Washington University, to LP RE: Discusses his recent difficulties with the government and the FBI over his liberal sentiments. Thanks LP for his help during this time. Mentions he has been speaking with Condon on the matter. (Note under text: discusses ordering of Kodak film.) [Letter from LP to Kamen September 27, 1947] [Filed under LP Correspondence: Box #197.2, file:(Kamen, Michael)]
- Letter from Eileen A. Fry, Secretary, Emergency Committee of Atomic Scientists, to Lyman M. Meares. Apologizes for the delay in sending the requested pamphlets. Their supply had quickly been used, and the requested 200 copies are being sent to them direct from the printer today. Also thanks him for his support of their work. [Letter from Meares to Einstein, August 9, 1947, Letter from Ray to Meares, January 26, 1948] LP Peace: Box 3.005, Folder 5.6
- Letter from H. A. Fuller to LP RE: Thanks LP for favor and reprint of “A Theory of the Structure and Process of Formation of Antibodies.” Discusses work of a Danish physiologist where when horses were injected with diphtheria and manganese at the same time, much larger quantities of antibodies built up. He wishes to know the reference. Also requests information on methods of measuring quantities of antibodies in humans. Encloses leaflets on the treatment of asthma. (note in pen, left of mention of Danish physiologist: Dan - do you know about this? LP) [Letter from LP to Fuller August 4, 1947] [Filed under LP Correspondence: Box #300.9, File: (O: Correspondence, 1947)]
- Letter from LP to Dr. Henry B. Hass, Purdue University. RE: Informs him that he will not be attending this month's meeting. [Filed under LP Science: American Chemical Society: Materials re: Committees and Awards, 1938-1950: Box #14.008 Folder #8.3]
- Letter from LP to Olle Svensson RE: Says he is interested to learn about his hobby of constructing accurate atomic models, says they question he asks is unclear, and tells him about carbon radii. [Letter from Svensson to LP August 30, 1947] [Filed under LP Correspondence: 378.1]
- Letter from LP to Percy Bridgman. [Letter from Bridgman to LP August 30, 1947] [Filed under LP Correspondence: Box #31.9, file:(Bridgman, Percy Williams, 1944, 1947, 1958)]
September 4, 1947
Professor P. W. Bridgman
The Physics Laboratories
Cambridge 58, Massachusetts
I thank you very much for the sheet of data which you sent to me. Dr. Waser and I are making some progress in our considerations of the compressions of the metals, and I hope that we shall be able to reach some conclusions of interest to you.
It still seems to me to be likely that the transition in cesium is due to hybridization of the 6s and 6p orbitals. I feel sure that Slater's suggestion that the transition is due to the formation of diatomic molecules is not right.
I do not have any reprints of your papers since 1945. If you remember when you get back to Cambridge, would you please send me some of your recent papers?
- Letter from LP to Stuart Dorman, McGraw Hill Book Co., RE: Thanks him for the copy of Clarke's Manual for Process Engineering Calculations which he has passed on to Dean W. N. Lacey, professor of chemical engineering at Cal Tech. (Note above text: “Dean Lacey”) [Letter from Dorman to LP August 28, 1947] [Filed under LP Correspondence: Box #253.3, file:(McGraw-Hill 1947-1948)]
- Letter from LP to W.H. Freeman, W.H. Freeman and Co., RE: LP would like Freeman's opinion on his writing answers up for the problems in his text, and having them photolithographed for the instructors. [Filed under LP Manuscripts of Books, 1947b6.1]
- Letter from Prof. T'ing-Sui Ke, Research Associate, Institute for the Study of Metals, University of Chicago, to LP RE: Requests a reprint of “Atomic Radii and Interatomic Distances in Metals” and reprints of other papers on the subject. Sends related questions on interstitial sold solutions. (Notes in margins: “1938 before reprints exhausted.” “sent 9/10.”) [Letter from LP to Ke September 11, 1947] [Filed under LP Correspondence: Box #200.12, file:(K: Correspondence, 1947)]
- Writes cheque to "Southwest Gem and Jewelry Co.," $510.45. [Filed under LP Biographical: Business and Finance, Box 4.018, Folder 18.2]
- Writes cheque to “Jack Ely. Cleaning” $50.45 [LP Biographical: Business and Financial 4.073, folder 73.5, item 2]