Music has been a part of the Oregon State University curriculum since 1871, when the first reference was made to it in the college catalog. Vocal study began in 1887 and a Cadet Band was formed in 1891. A Department of Music was first listed in the 1895-96 catalog. A conservatory style School of Music was organized in 1908 as a self-supporting department within the college, directed by William Frederick Gaskins. Paul Petri directed the school from 1924 until he retired in 1947. That year the program was also placed on the same academic basis as other college departments and headed by Robert Walls, who served until 1965. Other department chairs have included William A. Campbell, 1966-1978; David Eiseman, 1978-1987; Tharald Borgir, 1987-1993; and Marlan Carlson, beginning in 1993.
Return to Music Department Photograph Collection Home