The correspondence in series 1 documents interactions between MacVicar and friends and colleagues concerning MacVicar's retirement from OSU as well as his receipt of various honors and accolades, community speaking engagements, the economic and political state of higher education in Oregon, Southern Illinois University, and international projects MacVicar pursued as a consultant.
Primarily made up of journal article reprints, the publications organized into series 2 also include membership directories, a chapter from an annual report, and notes for a eulogy in honor of former OSU president James Jensen.
Series 3 includes a collection of items from MacVicar's two-year stint as Chancellor of Southern Illinois University (SIU). The materials from SIU consist of three yearbooks, a membership directory, internal reports on student unrest, and an underground student newspaper.
Series 4 pertains to various projects pursued by MacVicar, primarily after retirement, as a consultant or committee member. The series includes budgetary materials, correspondence, donor lists, grant proposals, meeting minutes, reports, publications, studies, survey records, and treasurers' reports. These materials have been arranged into five sub-series addressing: 1. the development of NorthWestNet by the Northwest Academic Computing Consortium; 2. Peruvian agriculture; 3. pharmacy education in the northwest; 4. a proposed superconducting super collider facility in Oregon; and 5. various projects including the impact of Ballot Measure 5, and a Sea Grant Program in Latin America. Sub-series 5 also includes documentation of work conducted by the United Nations Day Committee (for the State of Oregon) and the Benton/Corvallis Library Art Committee.
Series 5 is primarily made up of certificates of recognition presented to MacVicar by various Corvallis service organizations, honor societies, OSU clubs, and various branches of the U.S. armed forces, the majority of them honoring MacVicar for his service to OSU and his involvement in the military. In addition to an honorary doctorate from Dankook University in Korea, this series features small posters of poetry and sayings, including a copy of a poem read by William Stafford, Poet Laureate of Oregon, at the second inauguration of Victor Atiyeh as Governor of Oregon in 1983. The photograph and prints in series 5 consist of an image of John E. Kirkpatrick, (who was a major supporter of the Oklahoma technical branch campus in Oklahoma City), a print of the Memorial Union by Alma Schulmerich, and a print of a doorway in "Old Kuwait".
- Series 1: Correspondence, 1981-1991 Add to Shelf
- Series 1 consists of correspondence with school mates and colleagues at other higher education institutions as well as letters of congratulations upon MacVicar's retirement in 1984. The correspondence also documents MacVicar's receipt of various awards, his speaking engagements, international projects for which he served as a consultant, and the economic and political state of higher education in Oregon.
- Series 2: Publications and Speech, 1942-1995 Add to Shelf
- Series 2 holds a collection of scientific reprints of publications authored or co-authored by MacVicar, as well as three membership directories for organizations to which MacVicar belonged. Also included is an article fragment and a set of speech notes, both created by MacVicar.
- Box-Folder 1.5: Scientific Article Reprints, 1942-1948 Add to Shelf
- Folder includes scientific publications authored or co-authored by MacVicar including: "Nicotinic Acid in Foods," 1942; "Boron Supply and Boron Content of Potatoes," 1946; "A Further Investigation of the Replacement of Boron by Indoleacetic Acid," 1946; "The Relation of Boron to Certain Plant Oxidases," 1947; and "Studies on Nitrogen Metabolism in Tomato with Use of Isotopically Labeled Ammonium Sulfite," 1948. Folder also includes a bibliography of MacVicar's scientific publications authored from 1939-1948.
- Box-Folder 1.6: Article: "Renewal in Societies and Men", 1962 Add to Shelf
- Article fragment authored by MacVicar and published in the Southern Illinois University annual report.
- Box-Folder 1.7: Membership Directory: American Board of Clinical Chemistry, 1995 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 1.8: Membership Directory: American Board of Nutrition, 1994 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 1.9: Membership Directory: The American Oxonian, (List of Americans awarded the Rhodes Scholarship), 1992 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 1.10: Speech: Eulogy for James Jensen, 1993 Add to Shelf
- Folder contains MacVicar's notes for a eulogy that he delivered following the death of former OSU President, James Jensen.
- Series 3: Southern Illinois University, 1969-1992 Add to Shelf
- Materials relating to the two years that MacVicar spent as Chancellor at Southern Illinois University have been organized into series 3. Of particular note are the internal memoranda reporting on student unrest at SIU and the Big Muddy Gazette underground newspaper, which targets MacVicar and other campus leaders for their leadership during the Vietnam War era.
- Box-Folder 1.11: Reports on Student Unrest, 1969 Add to Shelf
- Folder includes internal reports on suspicions of radical activities on the SIU campus including two meetings of Students for a Democratic Society.
- Box-Folder 3.1: Big Muddy Gazette underground student newspaper, April 9, 1969 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 1.12: SIU Obelisk yearbook, 1969 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 1.13: SIU Obelisk centennial publication, 1969 Add to Shelf
- Commemorative special edition of the Obelisk annual focusing on the history of SIU and marking the university's centenary.
- Box-Folder 1.14: SIU Obelisk yearbook, 1970 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 1.15: Membership Directory: Emeritus Association, (Southern Illinois University), 1992 Add to Shelf
- Series 4: Projects, 1975-1991 Add to Shelf
- Series 4 is itself subdivided into five subseries devoted to specific projects with which MacVicar was involved. Sub-series 1 focuses on MacVicar's association with NorthWestNet, a regional network of supercomputers for use by universities and their research partners throughout the Pacific Northwest. Sub-series 2 contains reports on agricultural planning and development in Peru, as authored by Peru's Ministry of Agriculture and Food, and the United States Agency for International Development. Sub-series 3 concerns efforts to expand Pharmacy education in the West, as led by the Northwest Academic Planning Forum (which MacVicar chaired from 1985-1987) and the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education. Sub-series 4 chronicles the effort to secure funding to locate and build a superconducting super collider research facility in Oregon. Sub-series 5 consists of a collection of smaller projects with which MacVicar was associated, including overseas trips to Africa and Latin America, as well as more local work with the Benton County Library and a group promoting United Nations Day.
- Sub-Series 1: Northwest Academic Computing Consortium, Inc. (NorthWestNet), 1985-1991 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 1.16: Correspondence, 1986-1990 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 1.17: Committee Meeting Minutes and Agendas, 1987-1991 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 1.18: Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws, 1987-1990 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 1.19: Grant Proposals, 1986-1990 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 1.20: Strategic and Implementation Planning Reports, 1986-1990 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 1.21: Meeting Participant Lists and other Materials, 1985-1990 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 1.22: Publications, 1985-1987 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 1.23: Reports, 1985-1987 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 1.24: Reports, 1988-1990 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 1.25: Meeting Agenda Books, 1987-1989 Add to Shelf
- Sub-Series 2: Peruvian Agriculture, 1982-1984 Add to Shelf
- Sub-Series 3: Pharmacy Education, 1984-1987 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 2.3: Correspondence and Survey Materials re: Pharmacy Education and Manpower, 1986 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 2.4: Reports, 1984-1987 Add to Shelf
- Folder includes three reports: "The Final Report of the Task Force on Pharmacy Education," 1984; "Pharmacy Manpower in the West: An Analysis of Supply and Demand," 1985; and "Pharmacy Education in the West: Report of a Survey," 1987
- Box-Folder 2.5: Conference Materials, 1986 Add to Shelf
- Sub-Series 4: Superconducting Super Collider, 1985-1987 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 2.6: Marketing Plan and Program Guide, 1985 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 2.7: Correspondence and Meeting Minutes, 1986-1987 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 2.8: Budgetary Information, 1986 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 2.9: Public Hearing Reports on Proposed Oregon Sites at Woodburn, Junction City and Boardman, 1985 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 2.10: Fact Book on Boardman site, 1986 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 2.11: Publications and Newspaper Clippings, 1985-1986 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 2.12: Reports and Proposal Summary, 1986 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 2.13: Final and Status Reports, 1986 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 2.14: Proposed Sites in California, 1985-1986 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 2.15: Proposed Sites in Other States, 1986 Add to Shelf
- Sub-Series 5: Assorted Projects, 1977-1991 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 2.16: Architectural Art Steering Committee, Corvallis-Benton County Library, 1990-1991 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 4.1: International Sea Grant Program for Latin America, 1975-1977 Add to Shelf
- Folder contains materials documenting a trip taken by MacVicar to Chile in October 1977.
- Box-Folder 2.17: Nigeria Trip, 1977 Add to Shelf
- Folder documents MacVicar's visit to the University of Benin and his attendance at the university's commencement ceremony, in February-March 1977.
- Box-Folder 2.18: Tanzanian Agriculture and Food Supply, 1983-1984 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 2.19: Tax Reform in Oregon, 1991 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 2.20: United Nations Day, 1989-1991 Add to Shelf
- Series 5: Awards, Certificates, and Keepsakes, 1968-1988 Add to Shelf
- A collection of awards, certificates and keepsakes have been arranged into series 5. The awards and certificates mostly acknowledge MacVicar's contributions to the Medical Service Corps and Oregon State University. The series also includes a photograph and a handful of quotations written in decorative script and saved as keepsakes.
- Box-Item 2.21: Assorted Awards and Keepsakes, 1969-1988 Add to Shelf
- Folder contains awards and certificates given to Robert MacVicar primarily honoring his contributions to the Medical Service Corps and to OSU. Awards of note include: Legion of Merit, Medical Services Corp, 1969; Honorary Membership, Oregon Veterinary Medical Association, 1984; Distinguished Service Award, Oregon State University, 1988. Folder also includes two humorous awards given to MacVicar in jest by Stub Stewart and Adrienne Gonia Fowler, 1981-1982.
- Box-Folder 3.2: Oversized Awards and Certificates, 1965-1983 Add to Shelf
- Folder includes the following awards and certificates given to Robert MacVicar: Certificate of Acknowledgement, U.S. Air Force Operation North Star, 1965; Legion of Merit, Medical Service Corps, 1968; Honorary Doctorate, Dankook University (South Korea), 1980 [file also includes MacVicar's commencement address, delivered at the time of his receipt of the honorary degree]; Youth Motivation Task Force Commendation, National Alliance of Business, 1983.
- Box-Folder 2.22: Decorative Quotations Saved as Keepsakes, 1980 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 3.3: Oversize Poem: "Living By Grace", undated Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 2.23: Photograph and Decorative Prints, 1964-1973 Add to Shelf
- Folder contains a signed portrait photograph of Oklahoma City oil entrepreneur and philanthropist John E. Kilpatrick, 1964; a reproduction of a painting titled "Doorway of Old Kuwait," inscribed by Howard Gollam, 1973; and an etching of the Memorial Union by "Schulmerich," undated.
Corvallis-Benton County Public Library
History of Science
Jensen, James H.
MacVicar, Robert William, 1918-
Oregon Multicultural Archives
Pharmacy--Study and teaching (Higher)--Northwest, Pacific.
Southern Illinois University at Carbondale
Superconducting Super Collider.