The Zoology Department Records document the administration of the department, primarily under the leadership of Kenneth L. Gordon and Ernst J. Dornfeld, and the activities of faculty, especially in undergraduate and graduate instruction. The records include correspondence, staff meeting agendas and minutes, publications, and lantern slides used in instruction. The bulk of the records are available on microfilm and consist of Reports of Service to the Institution for a 20-year period from 1938 to 1958. These reports were completed by each faculty member for each academic term and listed courses taught and number of students in each section as well as other activities, such as extension, research, or service.
The administrative records also include materials documenting possible war emergency research to be conducted in the early 1950s. Correspondence and reports documenting the cooperative research program between Oregon State College and Kasetsart University in Thailand in the 1950s are part of the General Files (Series I).
The collection includes histories of the department prepared in 1966 (by Ernst J. Dornfeld) and in 1989 (by Dornfeld and Charles E. King). Of special note is an 1895 report from F.L. Washburn to College President John M. Bloss describing the courses taught by the department in 1894-1895. This report also includes drawings and descriptions prepared by students.
The lantern slides were used for ornithology instruction and include maps and photographs of birds, habitats, and skeletons.
- Series 1: General Files, 1938-1969 Add to Shelf
- Series I consists of correspondence, meeting minutes, reports, and other materials that document the administration of the Zoology Department and the activities of faculty, especially in undergraduate and graduate instruction. The bulk of the series is comprised of Reports of Service to the Institution for 1938-1958. The report form was completed by each faculty member for each academic term with the courses taught, number of students in each section, and the time spent on each course per week. Faculty also reported time spent on other activities, such as administration, extension, research, or service on this form. The numbers that precede titles in the list below are the folder numbers as they appear on the microfilm.
- Reel-Folder 1.1: Barrington Committee Reports for Zoology personnel, 1954-1955 Add to Shelf
- Reel-Folder 1.2: Correspondence with staff, 1963-1969 Add to Shelf
- Reel-Folder 1.3: Gifts, 1951-1956 Add to Shelf
- Reel-Folder 1.4: Graduate certification policies, 1947 Add to Shelf
- Reel-Folder 1.5: Graduate examinations, 1962 Add to Shelf
- Reel-Folder 1.6: Honorary societies, 1951 Add to Shelf
- Sigma Xi, Phi Kappan Phi, Phi Sigma
- Reel-Folder 1.7: Kasetsart University, 1953-1959 Add to Shelf
- Sub-Series 8: Letters to the Staff, 1952-1954 Add to Shelf
- Sub-Series 9: Miscellaneous Correspondence, 1945-1957 Add to Shelf
- Sub-Series 11: Report of Service to the Institution, 1938-1958 Add to Shelf
- Reel-Folder 1.13: 1938-1941 Add to Shelf
- Reel-Folder 1.14: 1941-1945 Add to Shelf
- Reel-Folder 1.15: Fall 1945-Spring 1946 Add to Shelf
- Reel-Folder 1.16: Fall 1946-Spring 1947 Add to Shelf
- Reel-Folder 1.17: Fall 1947-Spring 1948 Add to Shelf
- Reel-Folder 1.18: Fall 1948-Spring 1949 Add to Shelf
- Reel-Folder 1.19: 1949-1950 Add to Shelf
- Reel-Folder 1.20: 1951-1952 Add to Shelf
- Reel-Folder 1.21: 1952-1953 Add to Shelf
- Reel-Folder 1.22: 1953-1954 Add to Shelf
- Reel-Folder 1.23: 1954-1955 Add to Shelf
- Reel-Folder 1.24: 1955-1958 Add to Shelf
- Reel-Folder 1.25: Unreasonable requests, 1958-1967 Add to Shelf
- Public inquiries on a variety of topics with responses.
- Reel-Folder 1.26: War Emergency research, 1950-1951 Add to Shelf
- Reel-Folder 1.27: Zoology staff meetings agendas and minutes, 1945-1950 Add to Shelf
- Series 2: Subject Files, 1973-1997 Add to Shelf
- Series II consists of materials that document undergraduate and graduate instruction. The records include expanded course descriptions for Biology (Bi) and Zoology (Z) courses in the early 1970s and an announcement of public speakers for a zoology course on environmental controversies (Z 565) in 1997.
- Series 3: Publications, 1895-1989 Add to Shelf
- Series III consists of several publications prepared by the Zoology Department. These include histories of the department prepared in 1966 and 1989; a publication of drawings of the anatomy of several animals; and an 1895 report from the Zoological Department that describes courses offered and includes drawing and descriptions by students.
- Box-Folder 1.3: Anatomy of Selected Animal Types, 1973 Add to Shelf
- Report by Kathryn Torvik and John E. Morris
- Box-Folder 1.4: History of the Department of Zoology, 1966 Add to Shelf
- By Ernst J. Dornfeld.
- Box-Folder 1.5: History of the Department of Zoology 1889-1989, 1989 Add to Shelf
- By Ernst J. Dornfeld and Charles E. King.
- Box-Folder 1.6: Laboratory Studies, State Agricultural College, Zoology, 1895 Add to Shelf
- A report from F.L. Washburn to College President John M. Bloss on work done in the Zoological Department during fall and winter terms of 1894-1895. The report describes courses in physiology, ornithology, and zoology and includes drawings and descriptions by students W.F. Holman, Lester M. Leland, Louis Leuenberger, Elsie Long, Amelia J. McCune, Kate B. McCune, A.D. Morrison, Dorothea Nash, Lulu C. Thornton, Effie Willis, and Lena Willis. This report is identified as vol. 1, no. 1; no additional reports were published in the series.
- Series 4: Lantern Slides, circa 1920 Add to Shelf
- Series IV consists of 36 lantern slides that were likely used for ornithology instruction. They include maps of bird species migration routes; USDA weather maps; and photographs of bird species, habitat, visceral contents, and skeletons. Most of the specimen photos are taxidermy mounts; although several photographs of birds in the wild are included. Some of the bird species photographs are identified. The lantern slides also include several images of mayweed and dog fennel. The items are numbered 980-55-1 thru 980-55-36; a few of the glass mounts are cracked and should be handled with caution.
Oregon State Agricultural College. Zoological Department
Oregon State College--Faculty.
Oregon State College. Department of Zoology
Oregon State University. Department of Zoology
Ornithology--Study and teaching.
Zoology--Study and teaching (Higher)--Oregon--Corvallis.