The Alumni Association Motion Picture Films and Videotapes consist of moving image materials created or assembled by the Oregon State University Alumni Association. The collection includes promotional films, such as the 1958 production, This is Oregon State, and recordings of special events, such as commencement, OSU centennial activities, and the first television course in Oregon taught by Chemistry Professor, Wendell Slabaugh. The bulk of the motion picture films are of Oregon State football games in the 1950s and early 1960s. Also of note are films about the 1964 football season and the homecoming banquet for the 1942 Rose Bowl team.
Several alumni are featured in the films and videotapes, including Terry Baker, Henry L. Bauer, Robert D. Cess, Hope Chamberlin, Ronald T. Miller, and Warren Washingon. The videotapes include recordings of several alumni award presentations in the 1990s and 1991 productions honoring the Class of 1941 and the Class of 1966.
All of the films are 16 mm; most are b/w. The bulk of the videotapes are VHS format; one is a 1/2" open reel videotape.
An addition to the OSU Alumni Association Motion Picture Films (Accession 2009:034) is made up of 12 VHS videotape recordings of campus events generated by the OSU Alumni Association and the Office of University Advancement. In addition to documenting focus group research of OSU alumni and donors, these tapes also depict E.B. Lemon Award dinners, a diversity training workshop, OSU Hawaii Club's Luau Night, and the rededication of a plaque at the Phi Delta house honoring Bill Corvallis and Stanley McGuire. There is also a tape containing footage of the 1957 Rose Bowl game and a film produced by the Alumni Association about Douglas Strain entitled "The Everyday Philanthropist."
A second addition to the collection (Accession 2009:089) consists of a 16 mm film reel documenting the crowning of the 1959 Homecoming queen.
A third addition to the Alumni Association Motion Picture Films and Videotapes (Accession 2013:057) consists of four VHS videotapes generated and collected by the Alumni Association. Two of the tapes are recordings of a campus event called "Oozeball 2" which involved a game of volleyball in mud rather than sand. The other tapes consist of a recruitment video and a recording of a presentation on OSU history by "Oregon Stater" writer and Editor George Edmonston Jr.
- Series 1: Motion Picture Films, 1942-1969 Add to Shelf
- The Motion Picture Films consist of promotional productions; recordings of special events, such as commencement and OSU cenntennial activities; and films of football games and related events. The promotional productions include a short film about OSU broadcast during intermission of the General Electric College Bowl television broadcast in 1962 and This is Oregon State. The films include a recording of the first chemistry course taught via television in 1957 and A Day in the Life of Terry Baker produced by KATU-TV. The bulk of the films are of Oregon State College football games in the 1950s and early 1960s; a recording of a television program about the 1964 football season leading up to Oregon State's 1965 trip to the Rose Bowl; and the 1942 Rose Bowl homecoming banquet.
- Sub-Series 1: Oregon State University Promotion and Events Add to Shelf
- Item FV017:01: OSU film for General Electric College Bowl broadcast, 1962 Add to Shelf
- From CBS television; this is likely the short film about OSU that was broadcast during intermission of the College Bowl broadcast with OSU contestants; 25 feet; b/w; no sound.
- Item FV017:02: 1958 Add to Shelf
- Produced by the Oregon State College Alumni Association and several student organizations and funded by the Class of 1947, this color 16 mm file (with sound) includes a general introduction to the College as well as profiles of each academic school, student activities, and athletics. VHS use copy available.
- Item FV017:05: Oregon State College Commencement, 1954 Add to Shelf
- 300 feet; b/w.
- Sub-Series 2: Oregon State University Centennial, 1968-1969 Add to Shelf
- Item FV017:06: Parade, October 26, 1968 Add to Shelf
- Color; 200 feet.
- Item FV017:07: Centennial Charter Day Convocation Dinner, October 26, 1968 Add to Shelf
- Item FV017:27: 1968-1969 Add to Shelf
- Produced by KGW-TV, Portland, and Pacific NW Bell, the film provides an overview of campus and campus activities; color; 1000 feet. Additional copies in the Continuing Higher Education Motion Picture Films (FV 048).
- Item FV017:08: Unidentified magnetic sound track, 1954 Add to Shelf
- 2 reels
- Item FV017:14: Chemistry course taught by Wendell Slabaugh on closed-circuit television, April 1957 Add to Shelf
- Dr. Wendell Slabaugh taught the first television course for credit from a college or university in Oregon in the Spring of 1957. The course, Chemistry 201, was closed-circuit from the studio in Shepard Hall to viewing rooms in Dearborn Hall. Bill Rush of the Division of Continuing Education filmed this presentation in April of 1957 from one corner of the studio to preserve this "Oregon first". The course was produced by Prof. Harold Livingston of the Speech Department with a crew of 12 students. In the Fall of 1957, KOAC-TV went on the air and Dr. Slabaugh taught the same course as part of the Interinstitutional Televised Teaching Project. b/w; 1000 feet.
- Item FV017:26: October 5, 1963 Add to Shelf
- Produced by KATU-TV; presented to the OSU Alumni Association by Joe Fisher Ford, Portland, Oregon; b/w; 1000 feet.
- Sub-Series 3: Football, 1942-1964 Add to Shelf
- Item FV017:03: Oregon State vs Kansas, 1957 Add to Shelf
- 2 reels
- Item FV017:09: Rose Bowl Homecoming Banquet, 1942 Add to Shelf
- Color, 16 mm, approx. 300 ft; includes footage of banquet and of OSC vs University of Oregon football game in November 1941 and the campus celebration that followed.
- Item FV017:15: Oregon State vs University of Idaho, 1954 Add to Shelf
- b/w; 1500 feet
- Item FV017:16: Oregon State vs Michigan State, October 4, 1952 Add to Shelf
- Filmed by George B. Cox of Corvallis, Oregon; b/w; poor condition due to shrinkage; 1200 feet.
- Item FV017:17: Oregon State vs UCLA, 1955 Add to Shelf
- Duplication master and DVD use copy available; b/w; 2000 feet.
- Item FV017:18: Oregon State vs Brigham Young University, 1955 Add to Shelf
- b/w; 1400 feet; poor condition due to shrinkage.
- Item FV017:19: Oregon State vs University of California, 1955 Add to Shelf
- b/w; 1400 feet
- Item FV017:20: Unidentified games Add to Shelf
- b/w; poor condition due to shrinkage; 1300 feet each.
- Item FV017:21: Unidentified Games Add to Shelf
- Unit ID: FV017:21
- Item FV017:22: Coaching film, circa 1950s Add to Shelf
- b/w; 1500 feet.
- Item FV017:23: Oregon State vs Stanford University, 1955 Add to Shelf
- b/w; 1100 feet; poor condition due to shrinkage
- Item FV017:24: Oregon State vs University of Utah, September 21, 1963 Add to Shelf
- b/w; 1000 feet
- Item FV017:25: Unidentified game, circa 1950s Add to Shelf
- b/w; 1000 feet.
- Item FV017:28: "OSU All The Way", 1964 Add to Shelf
- Kinescope recording of a television program on the 1964 OSU football season leading to OSU playing the 1965 Rose Bowl; b/w; with sound; 1800 feet. Credits list Bruce King and Marlan Holland. Includes footage of Tommy Prothro and highlights from games throughout the season. Bruce King was Sports Director/Anchor at KEZI-TV in Eugene from 1960-1965; Marlan Holland played football for the University of Oregon in the 1950s, including the 1958 University of Oregon Rose Bowl team. The program was likely produced and broadcast by KEZI-TV. Item has been digitized and is available online.
- Series 2: Videotapes, 1974-1998 Add to Shelf
- The videotapes include recordings of several alumni award presentations and the dedication of the Benton Hall Clock Tower, a gift of the Class of 1988; productions honoring the classes of 1941 and 1966; and a 1974 interview of Hope Chamberlin, a journalist and author who graduated from Oregon State College in 1938. All of the videotapes are VHS format, except for the Chamberlin interview which is on 1/2" open reel.
- Item FV017:10: E.B. Lemon Distinguished Alumni Award Ceremony; Robert D. Cess, recipient, May 11, 1991 Add to Shelf
- Item FV017:11: 1991 Add to Shelf
- Produced by the Alumni Association for the 50th reunion of the Class of 1941.
- Item FV017:12: 1991 Add to Shelf
- Produced by Thomas A. Cooper for the 25th reunion of the Class of 1966.
- Item FV017:13: Benton Hall Clock Tower Dedication, 1989 Add to Shelf
- Item FV017:29: Alumni Awards, May 21, 1994 Add to Shelf
- E.B. Lemon Distinguished Alumni Award to Henry L. Bauer.
- Item FV017:30: E.B. Lemon Award Dinner, May 17, 1996 Add to Shelf
- Warren Washington, award recipient.
- Item FV017:31: Presentation of OSU Distinguished Alumni Award to Ronald T. Miller, April 24, 1998 Add to Shelf
- Item FV017:32: Interview of Hope Chamberlin by Shirley Howard of KOAC, 1974 Add to Shelf
- 1/2" open reel format
Chemistry--Study and teaching (Higher)--Oregon.
Oregon Multicultural Archives
Oregon State College--Students.
Oregon State University--Alumni and alumnae.
Oregon State University--Centennial celebrations, etc.
Oregon State University--Students.
Oregon State University. Alumni Association
Rose Bowl (Football game)
Television in higher education--Oregon.
Washington, Warren M.