Oregon State UniversitySpecial Collections & Archives Research Center

T.J. Starker Collection, 1975-1982

T.J. Starker, ca. 1920s. Thurman James Starker was a professor of Forestry from 1922-1942. He taught courses in forest management and silviculture and purchased land during the 1930s which would become Starker Forests. Starker also helped the city of Corvallis create Avery Park.  In 1962 he was appointed a member of the Oregon State Board of Forestry by Governor Mark Hatfield.

Information and Credits

MSS Starker

The T.J. Starker Collection consists of materials written and assembled by Starker. The bulk of the collection is newspaper clippings pertaining to the Mount St. Helens eruptions of 1980-1982 and other newsworthy topics in Oregon in the early 1980s. Starker earned a BS in Forestry from Oregon Agricultural College in 1910 and was the founder of the family-owned Starker Forests timber company.

Biographical Note 

Scope and Content Note

Quantity

1 cubic foot; 1 box

Related Papers

The Memorabilia Collection includes biographical information on Starker and information on Starker Forests (MC-Starker, T.J.). The Oregon Pioneers Oral History Collection (OH 01) and Horner Museum Oral History Collection (OH 10) include interviews with Starker; the OSU Alumni Oral History Collection (OH 13) includes an oral history of Starker's daughter, Jean Starker Roth. The College of Forestry Records (RG 139) include materials pertaining to Starker's student and faculty years at Oregon State as well as his later contributions to forestry in Oregon. Photographs of Starker are part of the College of Forestry (P 061) and Faculty and Staff (P 046) Photographic Collections as well as Harriet's Collection.

More Information