The OSU Sea Grant program was established on Feb. 20, 1968 as a result of the National Sea Grant Program and College Act of 1966. It was the first and largest of three programs set up at that time. Its mission was to develop "an understanding and appreciation of how to live with the ocean and how to manage the coastal zone." The program has focused on five areas: marine extension, education and training, seafood research, coastal environments, and public policy analysis. It is cooperatively funded by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, by the State of Oregon and local communities, and by private industry. Initially administered by Oceanography Professor Herbert F. Frolander, the Sea Grant program at OSU has also been directed by William Wick (1973-1988) and Robert Malouf (1989-).
Walter G. Jones earned bachelor's (1951) and master's (1958) degrees from Oregon State College. At the time of his death in 1980, he had worked for more than 25 years in fisheries and was chief of fisheries development for the National Marine Fisheries Service, Alaska Region. Former National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) administrator John A. Knauss helped to found the Sea Grant Program.
Return to Sea Grant College Program Records Home