Oregon State UniversitySpecial Collections & Archives Research Center

Facilities Services Records, 1888-2010

Otto Meyer of the OSC physical plant (left) and V.A. Stanford of Donald Drake Construction in Portland (right) manipulating a pipe being installed in a new campus heating tunnel, June 1951.

Information and Credits

RG 193

The Facilities Services Records document the physical campus of Oregon State University in Corvallis as well as OSU facilities throughout the state of Oregon beginning with construction of the first building on the current campus in 1888. The records consist predominantly of architectural drawings and files for the design, construction, and modification to structures.

Historical Note 

Scope and Content Note

Quantity

373 cubic feet, including 8650 sheets and 271 photographs; 182 boxes, including 14 oversize boxes, and 192 map folders

Arrangement

The records consist of 22 series: I. Architectural Drawings and Plans, 1901-1999; II. Building Project Files, 1938-2002; III. Building Specifications and Reports, 1909-2003; IV. Capital Construction Project files, 1962-1997; V. Facilities Planning and Use Committee Records, 1981-1985; VI. General Construction Files, 1989-1997; VII. Minor Building Modifications Files, 1985-1993; VIII. General Subject Numbered Files, 1968-1991; IX. Committee Records, 1966-2003; X. Correspondence, 1888-2003; XI. Land Ownership and Property, 1940-1951; XII. Policies and Procedures, 1986-1994; XIII. Publications, 1989-2001; XIV. Space Use, 1960-1969; XV. Staff Meeting Minutes, 1992-2001; XVI. Time Records, 1913-1939; XVII. Renderings (Drawings) of Campus Buildlings, 1949-1975; XVIII. Book Plans, 1960-1993; XIX. Lighting (Interior) Study, circa early-mid 1980s; XX. Campus, Farm, and Property Maps, 1899-1900; XXI. Aerial Photographs, 1952-1979; and XXII. Photographs, 1963.

Related Papers

The Memorabilia Collection includes brochures and general information about Facilities Services, information about individual structures, and materials pertaining to campus planning. More detailed information about the construction of some major buildings is available in the records of the corresponding office or department; for example, information about construction and remodeling of the Valley Library (and its predecessors, the Kerr Library and Kidder Hall) are available in the Library Records (RG 009).

Capital Construction Funding Records for 1952-1989 as well as other materials pertaining to buildings and facilities are part of the Business Affairs Records (RG 017).

Additional correspondence of Gordon V. Skelton is available in the Civil Engineering Department Records (RG 030).

More Information