Oregon State UniversitySpecial Collections & Archives Research Center

Patent Committee Records, 1917-1963

Historical Note:

The Patent Committee (also known as the Committee on Patent Policy) was established at Oregon State College in the late 1940s to insure that inventions developed at Oregon State were patented or to waive the state's rights to a potential patent. Oregon State faculty were required to report potential patentable inventions to the committee. The committee counseled with the inventor, evaluated patent possibilities, and negotiated contractual agreements in conjunction with the Chancellor of the State System of Higher Education.

Beginning in the early 1950s, Oregon State contracted with the Research Corporation to investigate, evaluate, and manage patents for the college.

Committee members through the early 1960s included chairs Joseph Schulein and E.A. Yunker as well as J.B. Rodgers and J.L. LeMaster.

The primary functions of the Patent Committee are currently performed by the Office of Technology Transfer in the Oregon State University Research Office.


Return to Patent Committee Records Home