- 4:30pm - The Nature of the Chemical Bond - Lecture 8: Debye theory. [Filed under LP Biographical: Academia: Box 1.013, Folder 13.11]
- Addendum to Report #8: "Interference of Iron-Containing Inks with the Silver Physical Developer in Connection with LC III," by George G. Wright, William H. Eberhardt, and Frank Lanni, cc: Dr. Warren C. Lothrop, Captain Donald B. Summers - OSS, Mr. George A. Richter, and project files - CIT. Handwritten note: "Copy 5 - to Dr. Chadwell for Dr. Pierce, Dept. of State." LP Safe: Drawer 3, Folder 3.013
- Letter from LP to Dr. Thomas Addis. [Filed under LP Correspondence: Box #2.1, file:(Addis, Thomas 1940-1945)]
August 27, 1945
Dr. T. Addis
Stanford Medical School
I have checked up a couple of times with Dr. Campbell about the fractionated gelatins which he is preparing for you. He has been having some trouble, but he said he hoped to have the work done in a few days. You should hear from him soon.
Just the other day I learned from him that he had a copy of your manuscript on the danger of a large consumption of protein after sudden loss of renal tissue. I have read this manuscript with interest - I remember that you said a little bit about it to me when you were in Pasadena.
The question of what you are going to do next year continues to be an interesting one to me. I have not yet checked up on the possible opportunity in connection with the Huntington Fund for research, but I shall do so if there is any chance that you would be interested. Has anything new happened with respect to your situation at Stanford? I am sure that everyone here would be very glad to see you move to Pasadena.
- Letter from LP to Dr. Thorfin Hogness, Department of Chemistry, University of Chicago, RE: Sends information regarding his travel plans to Chicago for the Nu Sigma Nu Medical Fraternity lecture on September 3rd, arriving at 1:30 p.m. that day and leaving at 1:30 the next day. Discusses the changes in the Executive Committee at Cal Tech, and the search for a new president. Asks Hogness to have his son John contact LP about appropriate attire for the lecture. [Letter from Hogness to LP August 25, 1945] [Filed under LP Correspondence: Box #162.5, file:(Hogness, Thorfin)]
- Letter from LP to Juan de Cardenas, Ambassador of Spain RE: Replies that he is interested in the prosecution of scientific research in Spain, but regrets that his duties at Cal Tech and elsewhere in the country are so numerous that he is unable to accept their invitation to teach a course. Adds that he discussed this matter with Prof. Yost, and he is also unable to accept. [Memo from Yost to LP August 8, 1945] [Filed under LP Correspondence: 460.3]
- Letter from LP to Mrs. John Hammond, Biltmore Hotel RE: Requests that his reservation be changed to September 7-10. [Filed under LP Correspondence: Box #37.12, file:(B: Correspondence 1945)]
- Letter from Linus Pauling Jr to AHP RE: Says he has to do a day of KP to make up for the time he spent AWOL at the beach, he got caught. Unknown when he will get home again, they are restricted. He may be on his way to Japan soon, will send telegram when time comes. [Filed under LP Biographical: Personal & Family, Family Correspondence: Linus Carl Pauling, Jr. 1946-1956: Box #5.037, Folder 37.1]
27 August 1945
Sorry I couldn't get down last weekend. I has to do a day of KP to make up for the time I
spent AWOL down at the beach. I had the bad luck to get caught. But it was worth it I had a
terrific amount of fun down there.
I may not be able to get home again shipments are thick and fast, and we're [restric]ted
to the base now. [Edge torn] ...in the next
twenty-four hours I may be on my way to Japan. I'll send a telegram when the time comes.
I hope I have some decent luck.
On this fine note I sign off.
All my love, Mommy dear.
- Memo from Dr. Don Yost to LP RE: Agrees to Don DeVault coming to Cal Tech under three conditions: that he receive unconditional release from his parole board, that he truly desire to work at Cal Tech in research, and that he would like to work with Yost or another department member. [Letter from DeVault to LP June 26, 1945] [Filed under LP Correspondence Box #93: file:(DeVault, Don, 1937, 1939-1942, 1945, 1957-1961, 1965, 1969, 1976, 1981, 1983, 1985, 1987)]
- The Nature of the Chemical Bond, class notes of David Shoemaker: oscillations, Einstein's quantum mechanics, Born and von Karman treatment of modes, Debye [Filed under LP Biographical: Academia: Box 1.013, Folder 13.5]