Horticulturist Walter S. Brown was a faculty member at Oregon State College from 1913 until his death in 1942. His initial position was as the first Extension Horticulturist for Oregon; he was appointed head of the Horticulture Department in 1920. Brown was an authority on northwestern fruits, vegetables, and ornamental plants and authored many bulletins and circulars on horticultural topics. Oregon State University's Lewis-Brown Research Farm is named in his honor.
Brown was born in Portsmouth, New York, in 1878; he earned a B.S. from Cornell University in 1904 and an M.S. from the University of Wisconsin in 1906. He came to Oregon in 1909 as president and manager of the Corvallis Orchard Company. He married Clara Louise Raddas in 1912 and had two daughters, Grace and Lois.
Return to Walter S. Brown Photograph Album Home