The Fish, Game and Fur Animal Management Department was created in 1935 under the jurisdiction of the School of Agriculture. Roland E. Dimick was the first department chair, a position he held until 1963. The department operated the OSC Experimental Fur Farm from 1937 to 1957 and also established field stations on Protection and Eliza Islands in Puget Sound and a fisheries lab at Yaquina, Oregon. The department's name was changed to Fish and Game Management in 1936, and in 1964 was renamed Fisheries and Wildlife. Thomas G. Scott was department chair from 1963 to 1972.
The Oregon Cooperative Wildlife Research Unit was established in 1935 as a cooperative venture between the U.S. Biological Survey, the American Wildlife Institute, the Oregon State Game Commission, and Oregon State College. Arthur Einarson, U.S. Biological Survey research biologist, served as Unit Leader from 1935 to 1957, directing its graduate training and research programs. The unit was discontinued in 1961.
Return to Fisheries and Wildlife Department Photographs Home