The Oregon Nutrition Council was established in 1924 to coordinate efforts of multiple organizations and health agencies in Oregon active in nutrition and health education. Charter member institutions included Oregon Agricultural College, Oregon State Board of Health, Oregon Parent Teacher's Association, Portland Public Schools, University of Oregon, and Oregon Tuberculosis Association. Members of the Council exchanged information and ideas through regular meetings and participated in annual joint projects. The organization was especially active during World War II and the years immediately following. The Council was dormant from 1954 to 1969, when it was revived in response to state and national concerns about inaccurate nutrition information reaching the public. During the 1970s and 1980s, the Oregon Nutrition Council sponsored biennial statewide meetings; published a quarterly newsletter; produced exhibits and bibliographies of recommended nutritional information; and provided nutrition information to the press and the legislature. The Oregon Nutrition Council was deactivated at the end of 1988.
The organization was led by health and nutrition professionals; several Oregon State faculty were actively involved with the Council including Jessamine Williams, who served as the first President; Margaret Fincke, President in 1938-1939; Georgene Barte; and Jessie McComb.
Return to Oregon Nutrition Council Records Home