The University Archives was established at Oregon State University in 1961 as a department of the Library. From the early 1970s until 2000, the Archives was part of the OSU central administration. In 2000, the Archives became a department of the University Libraries and moved into the Valley Library in 2003. The Archives had a short-lived oral history program in 1980 and acquired recordings and transcripts of oral history interviews conducted by Oregon State students and faculty beginning in the 1970s. This and several other oral history projects were undertaken by the Archives beginning in 2004 in an effort to revive the oral history program.
Waldo Ball (1896-1994) came with his family to Corvallis at the age of 16. After studying pharmacy at Oregon Agricultural College and subsequent service in the Navy during World War I, Ball went on to complete a medical degree from the University of Oregon Medical School in 1923. Ball returned to Corvallis in 1936 and established a doctor's office, practicing medicine in town for 63 years until the age of 90. In addition to his private practice, Ball also served as a team doctor for OSU athletics for nearly 30 years. He was also one of the founders of the Benton County Foundation.
Whitney Ball was one of Waldo Ball's sons and also an alumnus of OSU. He passed away two weeks after recording the interview held in this collection.
Richard W. Gilkey attended Oregon State College from 1948 to 1953 and earned his BS in Science Education in 1951 and MS in Education in 1953. He was one of the first student photographers to document campus life; many of his photographs were published in the Beaver yearbooks and Oregon Stater alumni magazine. Gilkey was Supervisor of Audiovisual Education for the Portland Public Schools beginning in 1966 and Director of Educational Media from 1972 until his retirement in 1993. Gilkey donated photographs he made during his student years to the Archives in 2004 and 2005. An exhibit of his work was held on campus in 2005.
Robert U. Mace graduated from Oregon State College in 1942 with a degree in Game Management and a minor in Range Management. He served in the Navy in World War II and then began his career with the Oregon State Game Commission as a biologist. He served as Chief of the Big Game Division for 12 years, Chief of the Upland Game Division, and also headed the Wildlife Habitat Program. In 1969, he became Chief of the Wildlife Division and was appointed Deputy Director in 1976, a position he held until his retirement in 1981. Mace coined the term "Watchable Wildlife" and championed funding for research and conservation of non-game species.
Jean Starker earned a BS in Home Economics Education from Oregon State College in 1942. She taught for two years after graduation at Blue River High School and then worked for the OSU Extension Service's Clatsop County Office for four years. Jean is the daughter of T.J. Starker, Oregon State forestry alumnus, faculty member, and timberman. She married Kermit Roth in 1948 and is an active Corvallis community volunteer, philanthropist, and Oregon State University supporter. Jean Starker Roth received the E.B. Lemon Distinguished Alumni Award in 2001.
Warren Aney earned a BS in Fish and Game Management in 1958 and an MA in Ecological Statistics in 1971 from Oregon State. He worked for the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife and as a consultant.
Return to Oregon State University Alumni Oral History Collection Home