The OSC Suski Ski Club was founded in 1947 as a student organization to promote skiing. In November 1947, the club members voted to change the name to the OSC Mountain Club and include other outdoor activities, such as mountain climbing. The club sponsored ski outings to Cascade ski areas, such as Hoodoo, and participated in ski races with other colleges and universities. It also sponsored mountain climbs, instruction classes on climbing, and films and lectures. Club members often participated in mountain rescue activities. The club published a newsletter, the Local Yodel.
The outdoor activities of the club became the basis for the OSU Outdoor Program, established about 1971, which is now the Outdoor Recreation Center. The OSU Mountain Club currently holds monthly meetings.
Return to Oregon State University Mountain Club Records Home