Science instruction has been a part of Oregon State University's curriculum since the founding of the school. Through the early 1930s, the science departments were part of the School of Agriculture and the School of Basic Arts and Sciences. The School of Science was created by the State Board of Higher Education in 1932 as the one school in the state higher education system authorized to grant degrees in science. The first Ph.D. degrees were confered in 1935. The school's name was changed to the College of Science in 1974.
Stella Coakley of the Department of Botany and Plant Pathology served as chair of the organizing committee for the 1991 Biology Colloquium. This Biology Colloquium has been held at Oregon State University annually since 1939.
Return to College of Science Videotapes Home