Camp Adair was established by the United States Army in 1942 as a division training facility; the Adair Cantonment trained three divisions during World War II. The Camp, which covered 66,000 acres from north of Corvallis to Independence, Oregon, was in operation from 1942 through 1946. It served as a prisoner-of-war camp and also housed a U.S. Navy Hospital. During World War II, Camp Adair was the second largest "city" in Oregon. In the late 1950s, the U.S. Air Force had an early warning rader installation at the base that was in operation until 1969. Portions of the former Camp are now part of the E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area; the developed areas of the Camp have been incorporated to form the city of Adair Village.
Return to Camp Adair, Oregon, Maps and Aerial Photographs Home