- Letter from Arthur Linz, Vice-President, Climax Molybdenum Company, to LP RE: Asks which day during the week of November 14-18 would be convenient for him to visit Pasadena to meet with LP, Dr. Sturdivant, and Dr. Waugh. [Letters from Linz to LP September 7, 1949, from LP to Linz October 21, 1949] [Filed under LP Correspondence Box: #71, file:(Climax Molybdenum Company, 1948-1949)]
- Letter from Emil Ott, Chairman, and E. Winterbottom, Committee on Financing ACS Publications, to Alden H. Emery, Executive Secretary. RE: Transmits the findings of their sample survey. Translates their findings. [Filed under LP Science: American Chemical Society, Materials re: Committees and Awards, 1944-1949: Box #14.009 Folder #9.4]
- Letter from G. M. Juredine, Harshaw Chemical Company, to LP. RE: Encloses eight copies of the regional publications to give a background of recent views and activities among chemists in Ohio. [Filed under LP Science: American Chemical Society: Correspondence, 1949-1950: Box #14.005 Folder #5.2]
- Letter from Jack B. McElhiney to LP RE: Gives the date of the hearing and requesting LP's assistance in giving testimony of his work. (Notes under text by LP re: discusses his observations of McElhiny.) [Letters from McElhiny to LP October 15, 1949, from LP to Doyle and Kane October 31, 1949] [Filed under LP Correspondence: Box #255.16, file:(M: Correspondence, 1949)]
- Letter from Kurt Mislow, Department of Chemistry, NYU, to LP RE: States that he is teaching a graduate course, of which he can pick the topic. Add that he plans to teach on the valence bond with emphasis on topics of interest in Organic Chemistry. Goes on to discuss the syllabus and some of the things he is studying. [Letter from LP to Mislow November 30, 1949] [Filed under LP Correspondence: Box #248.4, file:(Mislow, Kurt)]
- Letter from LP to Dr. Harry M. Crooks, Jr., Parke, Davis and Co. [Letters from Crooks to LP June 20, 1949, October 21, 1949] [Filed under LP Correspondence: Box #310.2, file:(Parke, Davis, and Company)]
October 17, 1949
Dr. Harry M. Crooks
Parke, Davis and Company
Detroit 32, Michigan
Dear Dr. Crooks:
I enclose a report on the x-ray analysis of Chloromycetin. This work was carried out by Dr. J. D. Dunitz, Arthur Amos Noyes Fellow in chemical research in our laboratory. Dr. Dunitz is a thoroughly experienced man, and his work is of high quality. Moreover, Professor Robert B. Corey and I have looked over the work while it was being carried on.
The results of the investigation are not very encouraging. The unit cell contains eight molecules and the structure is correspondingly rather complicated. It does not seem to be possible to determine the structure from the photographs of this crystal alone, by use of the available techniques at the present time.
There is however, still a reasonable chance that the structure could be determined in case that crystals of the corresponding dibromo compound were available. The diiodo compound would be still more satisfactory for this purpose. We would accordingly like to know if either one of the substances would be available for this work in the near future.
With best regards, I am
cc: Dr. Corey
- Letter from LP to Hugh Enochs, cc: Prof. Beadle, RE: Informs Enochs that his efforts to start a Children's Health Exhibit are worth while and that the California Institute of Technology is doing viral research into the molecular aspects of viruses. [Letter from Enochs to LP October 3, 1949] [Filed under LP Correspondence: Box #112.15, file:(E: Correspondence, 1949)]
- Letter from LP to Thomas Bates RE: Thanks him for the manuscript on clay minerals. (Note in pencil: “This is the only letter we've had recently. BW”) [Letter from Bates to LP September 22, 1949] [Filed under LP Correspondence: Box #37.16, file:(B: Correspondence 1949)]
- Letter from Nives Hoffman, Secretary to W.F. Turner, to LP RE: Informs LP that Turner will attend to the letter when he returns to the office next week. [Letter from LP to Turner October 10, 1949] [Filed under LP Correspondence Box #70.4, file:(Chemical Monographs, 1946-1950)]
- Report on X-Ray Analysis of Chloromycetin. [Letter from LP to Crooks October 17, 1949] [Filed under LP Correspondence: Box #310.2, file:(Parke, Davis, and Company)]