Territorial capitol at Corvallis, Oregon
Oregon City was the first capitol of the Oregon Territory. In 1852, after much controversy, the capitol was changed to Salem. In 1855, the Legislature passed a bill removing it to Corvallis. The Federal Government refused to recognize the change. As a result both houses of the Legislature convened in Corvallis in the building shown here on December 3, 1855 and, within a few days, passed a bill changing the capitol back to Salem. This went into effect the same month and the Legislature re-opened in Salem on December 18. Efforts were afterwards made to change the location again and in an election held in 1856, Eugene received the largest number of votes. Bcause of four counties failed to make official returns, the election was ignored and the capitol has remained at Salem since 1855.
Visual Instruction Department Lantern Slides, 1900-1940 (P 217)
Special Collections & Archives Research Center, Oregon State University Libraries
Still Image Item Type Metadata