The A.L. Strand Oral History Collection documents an oral history project conducted in the early 1980s to capture recollections and remembrances of A.L. Strand, Oregon State University president from 1942 to 1961. English instructor Nancy Leman led the project in collaboration with Fred Shideler. The collection includes recordings and transcripts of oral history interviews, written remembrances and recollections, reference materials, extensive project records, and three photographs. The project was funded by grants from the OSU Research Council and the OSU Foundation.
The collection includes oral history interviews with Margaret L. Fincke, George W. Gleeson, C. Warren Hovland, Richard Hoyt, Jim Lattie, D. Curtis Mumford, Roberta Nelson, Milosh Popovich, Fred Shideler, and G. Burton Wood conducted in 1981-1982. Audiocassette sound recordings are available for all of these interviews except for Fred Shideler. A duplicate audiocassette tape for the Gleeson interview is part of the collection. Transcripts are included in the collection for all these interviews. Nancy Leman conducted all of the interviews with the exception of the interview of Jim Lattie which was done by Fred Shideler and the interviews of G. Burton Wood and Fred Shideler, which were done by Christopher Leman.
In addition, an audiocassette recording of an untitled speech delivered by Strand in 1966 is also included. This speech is believed to have been delivered to the OSU Alumni Association following Strand's retirement from Oregon State.
Written remembrances and recollections prepared by Faith Norris, Martha S. Mumford, and Russell I. Thackrey are also included in the collection.
The collection also includes a draft transcript of a group interview with several College of Liberal Arts faculty conducted in 1985. The transcript includes recollections by Chester Garrison, C.H. "Scram" Graham, C.C. Harris, Ray Hewitt, Walter Kraft, Edward Smith, Loretta Smith, and Austin Walter. The collection does not include a recording.
Correspondence and written recollections from Merrill G. Burlingame, Frank Cowan, Ellsworth Hastings, Mildred Leigh, Marjorie Paisley, John Parker, Ruth Pepper, and Louis A. Spain - all individuals who were affiliated with Strand at Montana State University - are also included and document Strand's activities as a student, faculty member, and administrator at Montana State College.
Materials written, received, and assembled by Ruth Carter pertaining to Strand were donated to Nancy Leman for the purposes of this project and included with the collection. The materials include notes and correspondence between Strand and Carter, including poems, and documentation of Carter's efforts to have a campus building named for Strand before his death.
The interviews primarily address Strand's relationships with faculty and other administrators and his personal manner, work habits, and management style. Many of the interviewees discuss the development of degree programs in the humanities and social sciences at Oregon State during Strand's presidency. Of special note is an extensive descriptive by G. Burton Wood of Strand's involvement in the development of the cooperative agreement with the Warm Springs Tribe in the 1950s and 1960s. The faculty also describe their own teaching, research, and administrative activities to varying extents. Hoyt describes Strand's relationships and interactions with the legislature and local Corvallis and Benton County governments. All of the interviews, remembrances, and recollections include anecdotes about Strand.
Reference materials assembled as part of the project include speeches and writings by Strand; materials pertaining to the Ralph Spitzer case; Fred Shideler's file on Strand; and articles, clippings, and related documentation pertaining to Strand. Project files include correspondence with interviewees and with Strand's son and daughter; project notes; oral history resources; and grant proposals and funding documentation.
The photographs consist two portrait prints of Strand and an image of Strand at Mildred Leigh's retirement as director of the Strand Union at Montana State University. All of the images were made in the 1960s.
- Series 1: Audiocassettes, 1966, 1981-1982 Add to Shelf
- Extent: 11 items
- Box-Item 3.1: Popovich, Milosh, February 25, 1981 Add to Shelf
- [Item OH07:03, one cassette]
- Box-Item 3.2: Fincke, Margaret, August 7, 1981 Add to Shelf
- [Item OH07:07, 1 cassette]
- Box-Item 3.3-3.4: Gleeson, George, August 8, 1981 Add to Shelf
- [Item OH07:06, three cassettes]
- Box-Item 3.5: Nelson, Roberta, August 8, 1981 Add to Shelf
- [one cassette]
- Box-Item 3.6: Mumford, Curtis, August 12, 1981 Add to Shelf
- [Item OH07:04, one cassette]
- Box-Item 3.7: Hovland, Warren, August 13, 1981 Add to Shelf
- [Item OH07:05, one cassette]
- Box-Item 3.8: Hoyt, Richard, September 5, 1981 Add to Shelf
- [one cassette]
- Box-Item 3.9: Wood, G. Burton, December 30, 1981 Add to Shelf
- [one cassette]
- Box-Item 3.10: Lattie, Jim, January 28, 1982 Add to Shelf
- [one cassette]
- Box-Item 3.11: Untitled lecture by A.L. Strand, 1966 Add to Shelf
- This speech is believed to have been delivered to the OSU Alumni Association following Strand's retirement from Oregon State. [Item OH07:10, one cassette]
- Series 2: Transcripts and Written Remembrances, 1981-1985 Add to Shelf
- This series contains interview transcripts as well as written remembrances that appear to have been generated by specific authors separate from any oral interview process. A subset of these materials were assigned item identifications by archivists contemporary to the project.
- Extent: 15 folders
- Box-Folder 1.1: Norris, Faith, ca. 1981-1982 Add to Shelf
- Item OH07:01; folder contains two typewritten remembrances by Norris, one of which is dated March 1, 1982.
- Box-Folder 1.2: Mumford, Martha S., ca. 1981 Add to Shelf
- Item OH07:02; folder contains a short handwritten remembrance by Mumford as well as two typed copies of the same text.
- Box-Folder 1.3: Popovich, Milosh, February 25, 1981 Add to Shelf
- Item OH07:03; interview conducted by Nancy Leman.
- Box-Folder 1.4: Mumford, D. Curtis, August 12, 1981 Add to Shelf
- Item OH07:04; interview conducted by Nancy Leman.
- Box-Folder 1.5: Hovland, C. Warren, August 13, 1981 Add to Shelf
- Item OH07:05; interview conducted by Nancy Leman.
- Box-Folder 1.6: Gleeson, George W., August 8, 1981 Add to Shelf
- Item OH07:06; interview conducted by Nancy Leman.
- Box-Folder 1.7: Finke, Margaret L., August 7, 1981 Add to Shelf
- Item OH07:07; interview conducted by Nancy Leman.
- Box-Folder 1.8: Thackrey, Russell I., June 1981 Add to Shelf
- Typewritten remembrance.
- Box-Folder 1.9: Nelson, Roberta, August 8, 1981 Add to Shelf
- Interview conducted by Nancy Leman. Roberta Nelson is also identified as Mrs. Herbert Nelson.
- Box-Folder 1.10: Hoyt, (Sen.) C. Richard, September 5, 1981 Add to Shelf
- Interview conducted by Nancy Leman.
- Box-Folder 1.11: Shideler, Fred, December 28, 1981 Add to Shelf
- Interview conducted by Christopher Leman.
- Box-Folder 1.12: Wood, G. Burton, December 30, 1981 Add to Shelf
- Interview conducted by Christopher Leman.
- Box-Folder 1.13: Lattie, Jim, January 28, 1982 Add to Shelf
- Interview conducted by Fred Shideler.
- Box-Folder 1.14: Montana State University colleagues, April-May, 1982 Add to Shelf
- Folder contains typescripts, correspondence and photocopied research materials. Of particular note are two typescripts: "An Evening of Reminiscence at Montana State University concerning President A.L. Strand," March 15, 1982; and untitled recollections on Strand compiled by Louis A. Spain. Correspondents are Merrill G. Burlingame, Frank Cowan, Ellsworth Hastings, Mildred Leigh, Marjorie Paisley,John Parker, Ruth Pepper and Louis A. Spain.
- Box-Folder 1.15: Retired OSU College of Liberal Arts faculty, April 19, 1985 Add to Shelf
- Transcript of a public panel discussion conducted with C.C. Harris, Ray Hewitt, Walter Kraft, Austin Walter, C.H. "Scram" Graham, Loretta Smith, Edward Smith and Chester Garrison. Interview conducted by Nancy Leman.
- Series 3: Collected Research Materials, 1949-1985 Add to Shelf
- This series contains an assemblage of research materials - many of them original primary sources - about Strand and his era.
- Extent: 6 folders
- Box-Folder 1.16: Ralph Spitzer controversy, 1949 Add to Shelf
- Ralph Spitzer was an Oregon State College chemistry professor whose contract was not renewed, likely because of his political leanings. This folder contains duplicated research materials as well as an original release copy of a talk by Strand addressing the issue, titled "Address by Dr. A.L. Strand, President of Oregon State College, before a meeting of the academic staff, February 23, 1949."
- Box-Folder 1.17: Strand materials collected by Fred Shideler, 1950-1980 Add to Shelf
- Fred Shideler was a former Oregon State journalism instructor and employee of the OSC News Bureau. This folder contains correspondence, newspaper clippings and press releases, including a statement by Strand on the institution's change from Oregon State College to Oregon State University. The folder also contains a Strand typescript titled "Oregon State College - a Ten Year Look Ahead," Spring 1958.
- Box-Folder 1.18: Strand materials collected by Ruth Carter, 1954-1981 Add to Shelf
- Ruth Carter was a former Oregon State English instructor and employee of the OSC library. This folder contains correspondence with and about Strand, newspaper clippings and copies of poems written by Carter. Of special note are a series of letters documenting Carter's efforts to have an OSU campus building named for Strand before his death in 1980.
- Box-Folder 1.19: Speeches and writings by A.L. Strand, 1952-1968 Add to Shelf
- Titles include: "Intercollegiate Athletics," February 2, 1952; Foreword to From Wilderness to Statehood: A History of Montana, 1805-1900, August 23, 1956; "Research," June 20, 1958; "Remarks to Class of 1961"; "F. A. Gilfillan," 1962; "Essence and Existence," April 3, 1963; "OSU and its Antecedents," October 24, 1968.
- Box-Folder 2.1: Photographs of Strand, ca. 1960s Add to Shelf
- Photographs consist of two portrait prints of Strand and an image of Strand at Mildred Leigh's retirement as director of the Strand Union at Montana State University.
- Box-Folder 2.2: Assorted Strand Reference Materials, 1950-1985 Add to Shelf
- Series 4: Project Files, 1980-1984 Add to Shelf
- This series contains materials generated by the project team over the course of their work on the A.L. Strand documentary project.
- Extent: 6 folders
- Box-Folder 2.3: Correspondence with the Strand family, 1980-1982 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 2.4: General project correspondence and notes, 1981-1982 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 2.5: Grant proposals and funding requests, 1981 Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 2.6: Interview preparation materials Add to Shelf
- Folder includes lists of questions, timeline of Strand's life, blank interviewee release forms and project overview document.
- Box-Folder 2.7: Oral history training materials Add to Shelf
- Box-Folder 2.8: Typescript: "Talk to ECLAT about A.L. Strand Study," by Nancy Leman, April 19, 1984 Add to Shelf
Fincke, Margaret Louise, 1900-
Gleeson, George Walter, 1905-
Hovland, Clarence Warren
Hoyt, C. R. (C. Richard)
Humanities--Study and teaching (Higher)--Oregon--Corvallis.
Lattie, James E
Montana State College--Administration
Montana State University (Bozeman, Mont.)--History.
Mumford, D. Curtis (Dwight Curtis), 1900-
Nelson, Roberta Orr
Oregon Multicultural Archives
Oregon State College--Administration.
Oregon State College--Faculty.
Oregon State College. Office of the President
Oregon State University--Administration.
Oregon State University--Faculty.
Popovich, Milosh Nicholas, 1917-
Social sciences--Study and teaching (Higher)--Oregon--Corvallis.
Wood, G. B. (Gregory Burton), 1909-