[Back to Formatted Version]

Media Services Photographs Collection, 1948-2003

By Finding aid prepared by Elizabeth Nielsen.

Collection Overview

Title: Media Services Photographs Collection, 1948-2003

Predominant Dates: 1987-2002

ID: P 119

Primary Creator: Oregon State University. Media Services

Extent: 34.0 cubic feet

Arrangement: The collection consists of two components. The first, Series I, includes individually numbered prints (P119:1-124). The second component, Series II-V, consists of unnumbered portrait photographs (negatives and prints) arranged alphabetically by the individual's last name. All 4x5 b/w negatives are stored separately in 4x5 negative boxes.

Languages of Materials: English [eng]

Abstract

The Media Services Photograph Collection contains photographic prints and negatives of OSU students, staff and faculty from 1948-2003, including images of students and staff participating in radio and television demonstrations, classroom television projects, and broadcasts for KOAC and KBVR.

Access to the Craig Harada photographs in Series 4 is restricted due to provisions sets by the donor. All requests for access to this material should be directed to the University Archivist.

Images from this collection have been digitized and are available in Oregon Digital.

Scope and Content Notes

The Communication Media Center (CMC) Photographic Collection consists primarily of portrait photographs of more than 2200 OSU faculty, staff, and students taken by CMC photographers in the late 1980s and early 1990s. It also includes images of OSU students and staff participating in radio and television demonstrations, classroom television projects, and broadcasts for KOAC and KBVR during the 1950s and 1960s.

An addition to the Communication Media Center Photographic Collection (Accession 2011:049) consists of photographs taken by the Communication Media Center that are primarily portrait shots of students and staff. Numbering about 775 images in total (125 prints and 650 negatives), roughly half of these photographs are made up of head shots of students from the College of Engineering programs. The subject matter in the images that are not portraits include an 1997 informational fair about campus services in the MU Ballroom, exterior views of the Women's Center building (Benton Annex), the President's Christmas Ball, 1991 pre-commencement ceremony activities, and Bates Hall. Portrait shots of staff are organized alphabetically by last name. Individuals depicted include: Jeffery Dalton, Ron Daugherty, Kelly Dixon, Michael Downing, Paul Dunlap, Dave Dwyer, John Evey, Ali Farrukh, Peter Field, David Fischel, Darryl Flowers, Mark Floyd, Cameron Foround, Greg Gahan, Thomas Garrido, Carl Garrison, Tom Gerding, Jennie Gerety, David Goebel, Katherine Graham, Jeff Grass, Daniel Hass, Richard Hampton, Andy Hashimoto, James Heck, Chong Hee Nam, Mark Heintz, Ed Hellman, Daniel Hendrickson, Luis Hernandez, Michael Hester, Jack Higginbotham, Gregory Hightower, Brenda Holdner, Robert Howse, Dennis Hruby, Gary Huls, Timothy Hunting, Stefani Green, Ahmed Imtiaz, John Irving, Brett Irwin, Neil Jensen, Richard Jensen, Tom Keeton, Karen Keller, Ken Kemple, Andrew Kittamas, Brian Kittleson, Rubin Landau, Randy Larrison, Douglas Lauderbach, Gary Lear, Gordon Lee, Youn Lee, Michael Levesque, Hank Lewis, Gayland Looney, Amy Loop, Jane Lubchenco, Stephen Lundberg and Dean Lunidstrom.

Images from this collection have been digitized and are available in Oregon Digital.

Biographical / Historical Notes

Photographic services have been provided at OSU since the 1890s. Emile Pernot was hired by Oregon Agricultural College in 1890 to teach photography and to take photographs for the Experiment Station. During the 1924/25 academic year, a formal photographic services unit was established within the Physics Department by John Garman, a Physics Department faculty member who taught photography classes and performed photography for other campus departments.

The Instructional Resources and Materials Center (IRAM) was established in 1965 to provide educational media services such as film ordering; audio-visual equipment rental; and art and photographic services. However, a separate photographic services unit (primarily for non-instructional uses) continued to operate through at least the early 1970s. The Classroom Television Center was officially established in 1966 to support various instructional and promotional uses of television, which had been developing on campus since the mid-1950s. In 1982, IRAM was combined with the Classroom Television to become the Communication Media Center (CMC).

Administrative Information

Statement on Access: Access to the Craig Harada photographs in Series 4 is restricted due to provisions sets by the donor. All requests for access to this material should be directed to the University Archivist. All other materials in this collection are open for research.

Acquisition Note: All materials were acquired from the Communication Media Center.

Related Materials: Portrait photographs of faculty and staff can also be found in the Faculty and Staff Photograph Collection (P 046), News and Communication Services Photograph Collection (P 057), President's Office Photographs (P 092), Extension and Experiment Station Communications Photograph Collection (P 120), Bill Reasons Photograph Collection (P 151), and Harriet's Photograph Collection (P HC).

Preferred Citation: Media Services Photographs Collection (P 119), Oregon State University Special Collections and Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.

Other URL: A preliminary container list was created for this collection on or before December 3, 2015.

Creators

Oregon State University. Media Services


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.