[Back to Formatted Version]

College of Veterinary Medicine Records, 1921-2013

By Finding aid prepared by Janet Wendt.

Collection Overview

Title: College of Veterinary Medicine Records, 1921-2013

ID: RG 175

Primary Creator: Oregon State University. College of Veterinary Medicine

Extent: 54.0 cubic feet. More info below.

Arrangement: The College of Veterinary Medicine Records are arranged in two subgroups: 1. School of Veterinary Medicine and 2. Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory. Subgroup 1 consists of two series: I. Class Projects from Veterinary Medicine Classes and II. Translations. Subgroup 2 also consists of two series: I. Reports and II. Correspondence and Administrative Records.

Languages of Materials: English [eng]

Abstract

The College of Veterinary Medicine Records consist predominantly of reports of research and diagnostic testing conducted by the Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory at Oregon State University. The first veterinary science courses were taught at Oregon State Agricultural College in 1892; the Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory was built in 1952 and the School of Veterinary Medicine was established at in 1975.

Scope and Content Notes

The College of Veterinary Medicine Records contains two subgroups: 1. School of Veterinary Medicine; and 2. Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory. The first subgroup consists of papers written for Veterinary Medicine Classes, and translations of veterinary medicine papers from German to English. The second subgroup, Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory contains reports, correspondence and other administrative records. Included are annual progress and final reports on various research projects, annual reports of the lab, monthly clinical necropsy records compiled in cooperation with the State Wildlife Commission; correspondence pertaining to test results; press releases; inspection reports of the lab; fee scales; and equipment specifications. The administrative correspondence includes requests for office and medical supplies, advice to prospective veterinary students, travel arrangements, thank you notes, and requests for payment of travel expenses.

An addition to the College of Veterinary Medicine Records (Accession 2012:073) consists of materials generated and collected by the College of Veterinary Medicine (CVM) that document various aspects of the program, including: instruction, accreditation review, faculty research, establishment of a regional program with Washington and Idaho, lobbying to Oregon State legislators, the awarding of scholarships, student matriculation, response to animal rights protests, curriculum development, policies/procedures, and building construction. These files consist of architectural drawings, brochures, correspondence, course syllabi, curriculum vitae, floppy disks, grant proposals, handbooks, meeting minutes, newsletters, newspaper clippings, photographs, reports, scrapbooks, signed petitions, sound recordings, videotapes, and a plaque. Primarily made up of newspaper clippings about the CVM, the scrapbooks also contain event programs, flyers, press releases, photographs, membership lists, and letters. Numbering about 5700 photographs in total (1500 prints, 2000 negatives, 2200 slides), the images depict students, faculty/staff members, research projects, classroom instruction, Magruder Hall, and graduation ceremonies. Compiled annually to document students going through the program, the class and graduation files contain commencement programs, correspondence, handbooks, newspaper clippings, photographs, speeches, statistical information, and survey materials. Confidential and personal student information found in these files have been weeded. The petitions were gathered in response to a plan to close the CVM in 1995.

A second addition to the collection (Accession 2014:070) consists of materials generated by the College of Veterinary Medicine (CVM) and is made up of cds, correspondence, DVDs, event programs, flyers, floppy diskettes, historical essays, meeting minutes, newsletters, newspaper clippings, notes, a paperweight, a photograph album, photographs, a plaque, posters, and reports. Documenting administrative activities such as cabinet meetings, accreditation, records management, interactions with the Oregon Legsislature, marketing, space planning, and the development of a 4-year program, about half of these records reflect various events organized by CVM including graduation ceremonies, annual Pet Days, staff appreciation awards, and alumni receptions at regional conferences. Numbering about 1470 photographs in total (700 prints, 500 negatives, 270 slides), the images depict graduation ceremonies, Pet Day activities, composite shots of students by class, exterior views of Magruder Hall, and various CVM faculty working with animals. The 2 DVDs contain video clips from the 2009 graduation ceremony and music videos produced by the Oregon Humane Society as a part of a benefit for pets affected by the Katrina Hurricane. In addition to digital photos, the cds contain graphic design files of the college newsletter.The 23 diskettes contain text files relating to Pet Day planning, an administrative review, awards ceremonies, and brochure proofs.

Biographical / Historical Notes

Veterinary Science courses were taught at Oregon State Agricultural College as early as 1892. In 1910, the Department of Veterinary Science was established within the School of Agriculture. In 1914, a veterinarian, Dr. Bennet T. Simms, was employed and the department name was changed to Veterinary Medicine.

In 1952 the Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory was built; it was enlarged in 1961. The Veterinary Isolation Facility was constructed on campus in 1973 to provide an environment for effective research into the complex and costly diseases that affect Oregon's domestic animals and wildlife. In 1975 the School of Veterinary Medicine at Oregon State University was established by the State Legislature. Magruder Hall, named for the state representative that was responsible for securing the funding for the construction of the building, opened in 1980, and in the fall of 1981, the Veterinary Teaching Hospital opened. The School was changed to a college in 1983 when most other schools at OSU were designated as colleges.

Department heads of Veterinary Medicine over the years, in addition to Dr. Simms (who stayed until 1938), have included: James Niven Shaw from 1938-1955; and Ernest Milton Dickinson 1955-1970. The first dean of the School in 1975 was Dr. E. E. Wedman, followed by Loren Koller from 1985-1995. Norman Hutton served as interim dean in 1995 and 1996 until Robert C. Wilson was named dean in June of 1996. He served as dean until his retirement in June, 1999. The present dean, named in 1999, is L. J. Koong.

Administrative Information

More Extent Information: 54 boxes including 3 oversize boxes, 1 map folder and 1 microfilm reel

Statement on Access: Collection is open for research.

Related Materials: Other materials pertaining to the College of Veterinary Medicine are available in the OSU Memorabilia Collection (MSS MC), the Publications Collections (PUB 7-15a and PUB 401), and the College of Veterinary Medicine Photograph Collection (P 184).

Preferred Citation: College of Veterinary Medicine Records (RG 175), Oregon State University Special Collections and Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.

Other URL: A preliminary container list was created for this collection on or before November 19, 2015.

Creators

Oregon State University. College of Veterinary Medicine
Oregon. Wildlife Commission

People, Places, and Topics

History of Science
Livestock--Diseases.
Natural Resources
Oregon State College. Department of Veterinary Medicine
Oregon State University. College of Veterinary Medicine
Oregon State University. Department of Veterinary Medicine
Oregon State University. School of Veterinary Medicine
Oregon State University. Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
Poultry--Diseases--Diagnosis.
University History
Veterinary clinical pathology.
Veterinary medicine--Diagnosis.
Veterinary medicine--Study and teaching.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.