The Newman Foundation of Oregon State University Records document the establishment of the Foundation in 1965 to support programs for Catholic students and faculty at Oregon State. The collection includes administrative records, property and legal files, publications, photographs, and sound recordings.
The administrative records include articles of incorporation and bylaws, meeting minutes, lists of board members, budgets and tax records, correspondence, reports, and subject files. The reports and subject files include planning documents and feasibility studies for redevelopment of the Foundation property on Monroe Avenue as Newman Commons and Trinity Court, including documents presented to the Corvallis Planning Commission. A large portion (about a third) of the records are property and legal files documenting the lawsuit by the Foundation against the Catholic Archdiocese of Portland regarding these properties.
The publications include newsletters, brochures, and flyers. The collection also includes materials on the history of the Newman Center and Margaret Snell as well as an embossing seal and non-profit organization stamp.
The photographs depict the streetscape around the Newman Center buildings and the damage done to a large metal cylinder assumed to belong to the Newman Center. The sound recordings consists of two audiocassette tapes of interviews with Gordon and Veronica Sitton about the history of the Newman Center at Oregon State.
Catholic Church. Archdiocese of Portland in Oregon
College students--Religious life--Oregon--Corvallis.
Newman Foundation of Oregon State University
Oregon State University--Faculty.
Oregon State University--Students.
Sitton, Gordon R. (Gordon Russell), 1916-
Sitton, Veronica C. E.
Snell, Margaret Comstock, 1843-1923