[Back to Formatted Version]

Oregon State University Campus Maps, 1894-1994

By Finding aid prepared by Elizabeth Nielsen and Anna Stewart.

Collection Overview

Title: Oregon State University Campus Maps, 1894-1994

Predominant Dates: 1900-1970

ID: MAPS OSUCampus

Primary Creator: Skelton, Gordon V.

Extent: 2.5 cubic feet. More info below.

Arrangement: The Oregon State University Campus Maps are arranged into four series: I. Oregon Agricultural College Maps, 1894-1930; II. Oregon State College Maps, 1930-1960; III. Oregon State University Maps, 1962-1994; and IV. Oregon State University Maps outside of Corvallis, 1933 - circa 1980s. The items in each series are arranged chronologically.

Languages of Materials: English [eng]

Abstract

The Oregon State University Campus Maps document the development of the Oregon State campus from the 1890s through the 1990s. The collection includes campus guides and visitor maps; detailed surveys; campus plans; and maps showing buildings, roads, and walkways. The inital land for the current Oregon State University campus in Corvallis, Oregon, was purchased in 1871.

Scope and Content Notes

The Oregon State University Campus Maps document the development of the Oregon State campus from the 1890s through the 1990s. The collection includes campus guides, visitor and parking maps, and pictorial maps. Maps documenting campus planning in the 1920s through 1970s are part of the collection. Information about the ownership of lands purchased or acquired by the University is available. Detailed survey maps and plans for sewers and utilities, roads, and walkways prepared during the 1900s-1920s are part of the collection. Many of the campus guides include descriptive information about the campus and Corvallis. Maps showing the locations of fraternities and sororities are also available in the collection.

The collection also includes several maps of Oregon State facilities and lands beyond Corvallis. Of note is a map showing the federal land granted to Oregon for support of the agricultural college per requirements of the Morrill Act.

Many of the maps are original ink drawings on vellum; Gordon V. Skelton drew many of the detailed plans and maps. A.D. Taylor prepared the 1926 and 1945 campus plans. The early survey maps of campus were prepared by students in surveying classes. Students also prepared several of the pictorial maps.

Biographical / Historical Notes

In 1871, the Corvallis College Board of Trustees purchased a 35-acre farm west of downtown Corvallis which served initially as the College's Experimental Farm and was the beginning of Oregon State University's Corvallis campus. By the late 1880s, a building (Benton Hall) had been built on the property. Additional land was purchased and buildings were constructed for teaching, research, and student housing. The Corvallis campus now encompasses 400 acres.

From the early 1900s until 1932, Gordon V. Skelton was responsible for campus surveys and maps and supervised roads, walks, and fire protection for campus buildings in addition to his role as a Professor of Highway Engineering and Chair of the Department of Civil Engineering. In 1932, Skelton was appointed Superintendent of Surveys, Maps, Roads and Walks, and Fire Protection, a position he held until 1940.

Administrative Information

More Extent Information: 187 maps; 5 map folders and 1 oversize box

Statement on Access: Collection is open for research.

Acquisition Note: This collection consists of materials that were transferred from the Oregon State University Libraries' maps collection as well as the Special Collections & Archives Research Center's Memorabilia Collection in 2012-2014.

Related Materials: The Facilities Services Records (RG 193) include campus, farm, and property maps. Campus maps were included in the General Catalog for Oregon State beginning with the 1919/1920 volume. The catalogs are available online.

Preferred Citation: Oregon State University Campus Maps (MAPS OSUCampus), Oregon State University Special Collections and Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.

Creators

Skelton, Gordon V.
Taylor, Albert D. (Albert Davis) (1883-1951)

People, Places, and Topics

Campus parking--Oregon--Corvallis.
Campus planning--Oregon--Corvallis.
College buildings--Oregon--Corvallis.
College facilities--Oregon--Corvallis.
Corvallis (Or.)--Maps.
Greek letter societies--Oregon--Corvallis.
Local History
Oregon--Maps.
Oregon Agricultural College--Buildings.
Oregon Agricultural College--Maps.
Oregon State Agricultural College--Maps.
Oregon State College--Maps.
Oregon State University--Maps.
University History

Forms of Material

Blueline prints.
Manuscript maps.
Maps (documents)


Box and Folder Listing

Series 1: Oregon Agricultural College Maps, 1894-1930
Series 1 consists of maps of the Oregon Agricultural College campus. Most of the maps are of the full campus at the time the maps was prepared. The maps depict campus buildings, roadways, paths, tile ditches, sewers, and fire protection systems. Several of the maps depict the topography of the campus, especially in the vicinity of Benton Hall; most of these were made by students in surveying classes. Maps documenting land owners for properties near campus as well as agricultural lands owned or rented by the College are included. Many of the maps were prepared by Gordon V. Skelton.
Extent: 81 maps

Folder-Item 6.1: Map Showing the Grounds, Buildings, and Water Systems, 1894
Scale 1 inch = 50 feet. Map made by William Bloss. Includes water pipes and tile ditches. One copy is original ink on vellum; the other copy is a blueprint.
Extent: 2 maps

Folder-Item 1.1: Campus, State Agricultural College, circa 1898
Scale 1 inch = 100 feet; ink on vellum. Shows roads, tiled ditches, and buildings.
Folder-Item 1.2: Plan of Sewerage System for the Oregon Agricultural College, 1898
By Gordon V. Skelton; scale 1 inch = 100 feet; ink on vellum.
Folder-Item 1.3: Location of Grounds, 1901
By Burgraff of Albany; signed by members of the Board of Regents. Map shows topography with 1-foot contour interval, buildings, and steam conduit. Scale 1 inch = 50 feet. Also includes floor plans for the auditorium and basement of the Armory (now Valley Gymnastics Center) at 1/8 scale. Original ink on vellum.
Extent: 3 items

Folder-Item 1.4: Map of the College Campus, 1903
From surveys made by the students of the surveying classes. Scale 1 inch = 100 feet; shows campus buildings, walkways, and streets.
Folder-Item 1.5: Course of the Main Conduit, 1904
Plan of water works for the College by Hirstel and Johnson.
Folder-Item 1.6: Map Showing Location of Sewer for Cauthorn Hall and Women's Building, 1906
Scale 1 inch = 100 feet. This "Women's Building" is Waldo Hall. Also includes profile of sewer, plan of manhole, and plan of manhole ring and cover. Prepared by Gordon V. Skelton.
Extent: 4 sheets

Folder-Item 6.2: Topographical Map of the Campus and Grounds, 1908
Scale 1 inch = 100 feet with contour interval of 1 foot. Shows buildings, proposed buildings, paths, and roads. Prepared by Gordon V. Skelton. Annotation indicated that this map was prepared during the first year of President Kerr's administration.
Folder-Item 1.7: Farm Map, 1914
No. 7-B by Gordon V. Skelton. Scale 1 inch = 50 feet.
Folder-Item 1.8: Plat Showing Knisley Land and its Relation to the Campus, 1919
Scale 1 inch = 50 feet; original ink on vellum.
Folder-Item 1.9: Plan of Drainage System for Artillery Barn and Corral, 1919
Scale 1 inch = 10 feet; original ink on vellum; prepared by Gordon V. Skelton.
Folder-Item 1.10: Showing Owned and Rented Lands of Oregon Agricultural College, 1919
Land for agricultural use; one copy is original ink on vellum; second map is hand-color printed copy.
Extent: 2 maps

Folder-Item 1.11: Map of Campus Grounds and Surroundings, circa 1920
Shows campus buildings, roads, and property owners for land adjacent to campus.
Extent: 2 maps

Folder-Item 1.12: Campus Map, 1921
No. 2-A by Gordon V. Skelton; scale 1 inch = 50 feet.
Folder-Item 1.13: Record of Surveys of College Properties, 1926
Scale 1 inch = 330 feet; original ink on vellum.
Folder-Item 1.14: Lands Owned by O.A.C. and Adjacent Property, 1926
Scale 1 inch = 330 feet; prepared by Gordon V. Skelton.
Folder-Item 1.15: Future Development of O.A.C., 1926
Folder-Item 1.16: Oregon Agricultural College General Plan for Future Development, 1926
Plan by A.D. Taylor. One copy is hand-colored.
Extent: 5 maps

Folder-Item 1.17: Campus and Farm Map, 1928-1929
Scale 1 inch = 200 feet; by Gordon V. Skelton.
Extent: 4 maps

Folder-Item 1.18: Campus and Farm Map, Showing Land and Improvements, 1928
Prepared by Gordon V. Skelton; hand-colored copies.
Extent: 3 maps

Folder-Item 1.19: General Plan for Future Development on Campus, 1928
Folder-Item 1.20: Campus Map, 1930
No. 2-C. Scale 1 inch - 50 feet. Prepared by Gordon V. Skelton.
Box-Folder 5.1
Item 1: Cafeteria Plan, undated
Probably circa 1900; detailed layout of a campus dining hall, perhaps in Cauthorn Hall. Original ink on vellum.
Item 2: Topographic Maps of the Grounds and Campus, 1907
Platted from student surveys; H.B. Benson, W.C. Galloway, and R.R. Clark. Scale 1 inch = 100 feet. Includes contour lines, streets, and buildings. Original map was cut into 4 pieces.
Extent: 4 maps

Item 3: Topographic Maps of the Grounds and Campus, 1909
Surveyed by students of the Class of 1909. Original map was cut into 6 pieces; only 4 of the pieces are extant.
Extent: 4 maps

Item 4: 1910
Includes one original ink on vellum with scale of 1 inch = 300 feet and 8 printed copies. One of the printed copies has typewritten text affixed to the map. The map shows buildings and farm plots.
Extent: 9 maps

Item 5: Proposed Plan of Fire Protection System for the Oregon Agricultural College, 1912
Shows proposed and existing hydrants and lines.
Extent: 2 maps

Item 6: Plan of Cauthorn Hall Sewer, undated
Probably in early 1910s; sewer between Cauthorn and Waldo Halls. Scale 1 inch = 100 feet.
Item 7: Map of area south of the Armory, circa 1915
Shows 16th and Washington Streets, railway, and rail siding to heating plant.
Item 8: Oregon Agricultural College Campus Maps, 1915-1924
Includes 3 originals, ink on vellum; remainder are printed. The maps depict campus buildings and streets immediately adjacent to campus.
Extent: 9 maps

Item 9: Plan for Fire Protection, OAC Barracks, 1918
Scale 1 inch = 50 feet; prepared by Gordon V. Skelton; original ink on vellum.
Item 10: Plan Showing Seating Arrangement, 1919
For convocation in Men's Gymnasium in February 1919.
Item 11: Plan for O.A.C. Farm Development, 1926
Indicates purchases recommended; map extends to Oak Creek area. Ink on vellum.
Item 12: Record of Survey of Land Purchased by Oregon Agricultural College, 1926
By Gordon V. Skelton. Scale 1 inch = 400 feet; ink on vellum.
Item 13: Oregon Agricultural College Campus and Farm, undated
A portion of the full map; by Gordon V. Skelton. Scale 1 inch - 200 feet; shows tunnels and conduits.
Item 14: Topography of West Campus, 1927
Shows location of barns and agricultural buildings.
Extent: 2 maps

Item 15: Sewer for Greenhouses, 1927
Scale 1 inch = 100 feet; prepared by Gordon V. Skelton; original in on vellum.
Item 16: Campus Plan, circa 1930
Item 17: North Campus Plan, undated
Shows buildings near Monroe Avenue.
Item 18: Detail of Tennis Courts, undated
Scale 1 inch = 20 feet; by Arthur L. Peck. For courts south of Home Economics Building (on current Memorial Union quadrangle). Original ink in vellum.
Series 2: Oregon State College Maps, 1930-1960
Series 2 consists of an assortment of maps of the Oregon State College campus, primarily during the 1930s-1950s. The series also includes several maps of agricultural lands west and south of the main campus. Several pictorial maps are included. Maps by Gordon V. Skelton as well as Wayne Bagley, Tom Bulpitt, and J.B. Solberg are part of this series.
Extent: 59 maps

Folder-Item 2.1: Annotated Campus Plan, circa 1930
An annotated copy of A.D. Taylor's 1926 plan with location of Health Service.
Folder-Item 2.2: Men's Dormitory and Kidder Hall, 1930
Detailed map showing walks, streets, and utilities in the area of Weatherford and Cauthorn Halls; scale 1 inch = 20 feet. Original map has been cut into 4 pieces.
Extent: 4 sheets

Folder-Item 2.3: Deeded Land near Oak Creek, 1930
Map of deeded land along Oak Creek purchased from Louise Lance Bebbe et al. for use by veterinary medicine. Scale 1 inch = 100 feet.
Folder-Item 2.4: Oregon State College Campus Map, 1936-1938
Prepared by Gordon V. Skelton; scale 1 inch = 200 feet. Maps show campus buildings, streets, and utilities; one sheet also indicates original property owners for campus property.
Extent: 4 maps

Folder-Item 2.5: Campus and Surrounding Territory, 1943
Scale 1 inch = 500 feet. One of the maps indicates with color codes the following properties: businesses, industrial establishments, single and multi-family dwellings, public buildings, parks, sororities, and fraternities. The second map indicates the locations of individual sorority and fraternity house and women's cooperative houses.
Extent: 2 maps

Folder-Item 2.6: Oregon State College General Plan for Future Campus Development, 1945
Prepared by A.D. Taylor. Multiple copies of the same plan.
Extent: 8 maps

Folder-Item 2.7: Campus, Oregon State College, circa 1947
By J.B. Solberg.
Folder-Item 2.8: Buildings and Boundary of Campus, 1950
Folder-Item 2.9: Oregon State College Campus, 1951
Scale 1 inch = 200 feet.
Folder-Item 2.10: Location of Proposed Agricultural Engineering Building and College Drive, 1953
Scale 1 inch = 50 feet.
Extent: 3 sheets

Folder-Item 2.11: South Farm Oregon State College, 1956
Folder-Item 2.12: Map of Campus and Suggested Changes in Building Titles, 1957
Folder-Item 2.13: Campus Map of Oregon State College, circa 1960
Folder-Item 2.14: Campus Map of Oregon State College, 1960
Scale 1 inch = 300 feet.
Box-Folder 5.2
Item 1: Students Map of Fraternities, Sororities and Land Marks, 1931
Item 2: 1934
Drawn by Wayne Bagley; published in the 1934 Beaver yearbook; available online.
Extent: 2 maps

Item 3: Published painting made from oblique aerial photograph of campus, circa early 1930s
Item 4: Campus Plan of Oregon State College, 1935-1939
As published in the General Catalog and other College publications.
Extent: 8 maps

Item 5: Map of properties between Shepard Hall and Commerce Building and associated correspondence, 1939-1941
Correspondence pertaining to purchase of these properties.
Item 6: 1940
Item 7: Map of Oregon State College and Surrounding Area, 1945
Prepared by A.D. Taylor.
Item 8: Campus Map of Oregon State College, 1949
Item 9: Beaver-ville Map, circa 1950
Drawn by Tom Bulpitt.
Item 10: J.B. Solberg Campus Map, 1953
Extent: 6 maps

Item 11: circa 1954
Item 12: Campus Map, 1956
Extent: 2 maps

Item 13: Post War Housing, Campus Court, 1960
Scale 1 inch = 200 feet.
Item 14: Campus Planning Map, 1960
Series 3: Oregon State University Maps, 1962-1994
Series 3 includes maps that were published as campus guides for visitors, students, and employees as well as campus planning maps. Maps indicating parking lots on campus and parking regulations are also part of this series.
Extent: 42 maps

Folder-Item 3.1: Long Range Campus Development Plan of Oregon State University, 1964
Prepared by L.A. Demonte and A.R. Wagner.
Extent: 3 maps

Folder-Item 3.2: Oregon State Campus Proposed Roads and Dorms, undated
Scale 1 inch = 200 feet. Shows proposed dormitories, existing and possible additional parking, and roads and parking to be abandoned. Of note is an "Academic Circle" centered on the Memorial Union quadrangle.
Folder-Item 3.3: South Campus Residence Hall Development, undated
Folder-Item 3.4: Oregon State University, 1970
Folder-Item 3.5: Oregon State University 1970 Plan, 1970
Drawing of an oblique aerial view of campus.
Folder-Item 3.6: Campus Map Oregon State University, 1971-1983
Scale 1 inch = 200 feet.
Extent: 7 maps

Folder-Item 3.7: Oregon State University Physical Development Plan, 1976
Color map prepared by DeMonte, Powell, and Yang, University Planning Consultants.
Extent: 2 maps

Folder-Item 3.8: Department of Planning and Institutional Research Map of Oregon State University, circa early 1980s
Box-Folder 5.3
Item 1: 1962-1973
Includes index to campus buildings and descriptive information.
Extent: 5 maps

Item 2: Oregon State University Campus, 1963
Shows buildings under construction.
Item 3: 1964-1981
Includes parking map and regulations.
Extent: 6 maps

Item 4: Drawing of oblique aerial view of campus, undated
Item 5: Shuttle Bus and Vehicle Tour Route on Campus, 1968
Prepared for the OSU Centennial celebration.
Item 6: Campus Map, 1969
Extent: 2 maps

Item 7: Campus Color-Coded Facilities Maps, undated
Shows facilities completed or acquired before 1940, between 1940 and 1970, and after 1970.
Item 8: undated
Item 9: Proposed Outdoor Educational and Recreational Area for Oregon State College, 1971
A 1971 reproduction of a map prepared as part of a 1950s proposal for a recreation area on the east bank of the Willamette River north of the Van Buren Street bridge. The area would include a golf course, club house, picnic areas, and areas for outdoor recreation and education.
Item 10: Beaver Open House Program of Events and Map, 1971
Item 11: Oregon State University Map, 1971
Item 12: 1988
Includes descriptive information, a Corvallis map, and advertisements for local businesses.
Item 13: Services for Students with Disabilities Map, 1992
Shows parking as well as full and partial access points for campus buildings.
Item 14: Buildings and Locations on Campus, 1994
Prepared by OSU Bookstore.
Item 15: Campus Map, 1994
Series 4: Oregon State University Maps outside of Corvallis, 1933 - circa 1980s
Series 4 consists of maps of Oregon State facilities throughout the state of Oregon. A map of lands granted to Oregon for support of Oregon State as a land grant institution is also included.
Extent: 5 maps

Folder-Item 4.1: Map Showing Original Land Grant for Oregon Agricultural College, undated
Map is annotated in red with locations of federal land that were granted to Oregon for support of Oregon Agricultural College. The map may have been prepared in the 1960s in preparation for the centennial of the Morrill Act (1962) or Oregon State University (1968).
Folder-Item 4.2: Oregon State Agricultural Experiment Station: John Jacob Astor Branch, 1933
Folder-Item 4.3: Map of Oregon Showing Lands Owned or Controlled by Oregon State College, 1938
Symbols on the map indicate the location of County Agents, Home Demonstration Agents, 4-H Club Leaders, and Alumni Clubs. The map was published in the Orange and Black, and was prepared by Paul B. Olson and The Pretty Map. This item is a color reproduction.
Box-Folder 5.3
Item 1: County Extension Offices and Agricultural Experiment Stations in Oregon, circa 1980s
Maps show the locations of County Extension Offices and Agricultural Experiment Station facilities.
Extent: 2 maps


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.