[Back to Formatted Version]

Corvallis, Oregon, Photograph Collection, 1902-1964

By Finding aid prepared by Ryan Atwood and Elizabeth Nielsen.

Collection Overview

Title: Corvallis, Oregon, Photograph Collection, 1902-1964

ID: P 051

Primary Creator: Colleges for Oregon's Future

Extent: 0.25 cubic feet. More info below.

Arrangement: This collection is arranged in one series: I. Photographs, 1902-1964.

Languages of Materials: English [eng]

Abstract

The Corvallis, Oregon, Photograph Collection consists of images of Corvallis and vicinity that document the city and region in the early and middle 20th century. A variety of formats are represented in the collection, including panoramic prints, nitrate negatives, hand-tinted prints, and large mounted mural-size prints. The photographs were assembled from a variety of sources.

Images from this collection have been digitized and are available in Oregon Digital.

Scope and Content Notes

The Corvallis, Oregon, Photograph Collection consists of images of Corvallis and vicinity that document the city and region in the early and middle 20th century. This artificial collection was assembled from a variety of sources. The collection includes images of orchards, the Corvallis Fire Department, and an event to promote the Colleges for Oregon's Future bond measure election in 1964. Of special note are 3 mural-size aerial photographs of Corvallis made in 1946, circa 1955, and 1962.

Images from this collection have been digitized and are available in Oregon Digital.

Administrative Information

More Extent Information: 41 prints, 5 nitrate negatives, 5 film negatives, 1 glass negative, and 1 positive transparency, plus 3 mural-size prints; 5 boxes, including 2 oversize boxes

Statement on Access: Collection is open for research.

Acquisition Note: Most of the photographs were received from various sources in the late 1960s; additions were made to the collection through the 1990s.

Related Materials: The Special Collections and Archives Research Center has countless collections within its holdings that include images of Corvallis and Benton County, Oregon. Of special note are Harriet's Photograph Collection (P HC) -- especially HC 596 -- and the Corvallis Gazette-Times Photographs (P 066). Other aerial photographs made by Western Ways are part of the John H. Gallagher, Sr. Photograph Collection (MSS Gallagher). The Colleges for Oregon's Future Collection (MSS CFOF) documents the activities of this citizen organization to promote the needs of higher education in Oregon.

Preferred Citation: Corvallis, Oregon, Photograph Collection (P 051), Oregon State University Special Collections and Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.

Creators

Colleges for Oregon's Future

People, Places, and Topics

Benton County (Or.)--Photographs.
Corvallis (Or.)--Aerial photographs.
Corvallis (Or.)--Photographs.
Courthouses--Oregon--Benton County.
Fire departments--Oregon--Corvallis.
Local History
Natural Resources
Orchards--Oregon--Benton County.
Political campaigns--Oregon.
Universities and colleges--Oregon--Corvallis--Finance.
University History

Forms of Material

Aerial photographs.
Aerial views.
Film negatives.
Glass plate negatives.
Nitrate negatives.
Panoramic photographs.
Photographic prints.


Box and Folder Listing

Series 1: Photographs, 1902-1964
Series I consists of photographs of Corvallis, Oregon, and vicinity assembled from a variety of sources. The item numbers P051:02 and P051:05 have each been assigned to two different photographs. The item numbers P051:12 through P051:18 have not been assigned to any images.
Box-Folder 1.1: P051:01-05, 19, 37
Item P051:01: Apple Orchard, Corvallis Orchard Company, July 1913
Extent: 2 prints

Item P051:02: Peach Orchard in Monroe, Oregon, 1913
Extent: print and nitrate negative

Item P051:03: Oregon Apple Company Orchards (OACO) Prune Orchard, June 1913
Extent: print and nitrate negative

Item P051:04: Oregon Apple Company Orchards Manure Boxes, Monroe, Oregon, September 1913
Extent: print and nitrate negative

Item P051:05: Corvallis Orchard Company House, July 1913
The Corvallis Orchard Company House was located west of Corvallis, Oregon.
Extent: print and nitrate negative

Item P051:19: Rotary Club member at desk, 1941
Item P051:37: Postcard with a bird's-eye view of Corvallis, circa 1910
Addressed to Miss Nellie Springston, Lone Rock, OR from friend Rena (music student at OAC)
Box-Folder 1.2: P051:20 - P051:36
Item P051:20-P051:36: Colleges for Oregon's Future Bond Measure Election, 1964
Photographs of the Torch of Learning Progress Marathon event to promote this May 1964 bond measure election to support higher education institutions in Oregon. John Fenner, an attorney in Corvallis, was Benton County Chair for Colleges for Oregon's Future. The photographs include images of John Fenner, Erwin Reiman, other individuals, and a crowd in front of the Benton County Courthouse.
Box-Folder 1.3: P051:38, 40-44
Item P051:38: Oblique aerial view of Corvallis from southeast looking to Northwest, 1946
Mural-size print (52 x 76 inches) also hangs on the west wall of the maps area on the 3rd floor of the Valley Library. This oblique aerial view of Corvallis shows downtown Corvallis (lower right), the Oregon State College campus (middle left), residential areas north and west of the campus and downtown, and the McDonald and Paul Dunn Forests to the northwest. Because it is a composite of two prints, there is some discontinuity of roads in the middle-to-upper right portion. Notable landmarks include the Corvallis Lumber Company at the confluence of the Marys and Willamette Rivers (center bottom); a hops field on the east bank of the Willamette River (bottom right corner); Corvallis High School at the northern extent of residential areas (middle right); the fire-gutted Central School (middle), which was destroyed by fire in 1946; and the Western Oregon Packing Corporation Cannery on 9th Street. The photograph was made by Leonard Delano, Sr. who worked for almost 50 years in commercial photography, including aerial photography for mapping.
Extent: small copy print, mural-size print, 4 120 copy negatives, and 1 positive transparency

Item P051:40: Porter Building, 1913
The Majestic Theater is located in the Porter Building. Copy negative of photograph from page 18 of Corvallis magazine, Spring 1962, with following caption; "Porter Building in 1913. The Majestic Theater was here. The store at the right was Witham's ladies shop. Johnson Porter's 1915 Hudson is shown in right front. (Photo by courtesy of Walter Porter, grandson of Johnson Porter.)"
Extent: copy negative

Item P051:41: Peck residence, circa 1935
This house was originally located on the site of the Valley Library and was likely built in the 1880s or early 1890s for E.E. Wilson and his parents, Lewis and Rose Wilson. When Oregon Agricultural College acquired the parcel for the growing campus, the Wilson House was moved to the corner of 26th and Campus Way to serve as the residence for the superintendent of grounds for Oregon Agricultural College. Arthur L. Peck served in this capacity for a number of years in addition to his roled as Professor of Landscape Architecture.
Item P051:42: Aerial photo of Corvallis, 1962
Taken by Western Ways, June 6, 1962 at 9000 feet elevation. Mounted mural-size print (60 x 94 inches) hangs on the south wall of the maps area on the 3rd floor of the Valley Library. This aerial photograph depicts several notable landmarks including the Willamette River (with a single bridge) and the Corvallis Sand and Gravel Company pit (lower right); the Corvallis Bypass (first phase) which was constructed in about 1960 (bottom); Highland View Middle School (upper middle right), which opened in 1957; Roosevelt School, at the southeast corner of 15th and Western (bottom middle), which closed in 1975. Western Ways, a Corvallis aerial photography company, was owned and operated by the Terway Family from the 1950s until the 1980s. They photographed farms and agricultural land; lumber mills and forests; as well as cities and towns throughout the Pacific Northwest.
Extent: 6 small copy prints and a mounted mural print

Item P051:44: Unidentified group, circa 1905
Group of people at an unidentified event, perhaps in the Benton County Courthouse. The group consists primarily of men, but includes several women and a few boys.
Box-Folder 2.1: P051:05-07
Item P051:05: Firemen on roof of Kline's Store, circa 1915
Hand-tinted image of night-time fire at Kline Building.
Item P051:06: Firemen climbing ladder to put out fire on a roof, circa 1915
Hand-tinted image of night-time fire.
Item P051:07: Corvallis Fire Department, circa 1910
Horse-drawn fire wagons in front of the Fire Department. Photograph by Moseley-Linton Photo.
Box-Folder 3.1: P051:09-11
Item P051:09-P051:11: Farmstead, road, and railroad tracks along Willamette River between Albany and Corvallis, 1915
The road may be a precursor to Highway 20. Three panoramic prints made by L.W. Jones, Portland. Donated by Judge Richard Mengler.
Box-Folder 4.1: P051:08
Item P051:08: Map of Corvallis, 1902
Extent: 5x7 glass copy negative

Box-Folder 5.1: Nitrate negatives for P051:01-05.
Item P051:43: Aerial photo of Corvallis, circa 1955
Mural-size print (58 inches x 71 inches) hangs on the west wall of the maps area on the 3rd floor of the Valley Library. This oblique aerial view of Corvallis shows the Marys River (bottom), Dixon Creek (from middle top to middle right), and the Willamette River as well as downtown Corvallis (middle right) and the Oregon State College campus (middle left). Notable landmarks include Highway 99 from downtown to the north; the Corvallis Lumber Company, at the confluence of the Marys and Willamette Rivers (center bottom); a baseball diamond north of the Marys River; and the new Parker (now Reser) Stadium which had been completed in 1953 (middle left). The photographer of this image is not known.
Digital File P051:39: Oregon Electric Depot at Corvallis in flood, 1923
January 8, 1923. Only available in digital form.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.