[Back to Formatted Version]

School of Pharmacy Photograph Collection, 1916-1948

By Finding aid prepared by Megan Guerre and Elizabeth Nielsen.

Collection Overview

Title: School of Pharmacy Photograph Collection, 1916-1948

Predominant Dates: 1920-1935

ID: P 166

Primary Creator: Oregon State College. School of Pharmacy

Extent: 0.05 cubic feet. More info below.

Arrangement: The School of Pharmacy Photograph Collection consists of two series: 1. School of Pharmacy Photographs, 1916-1948 and 2. Ernst Stuhr Photographs, 1930-1935.

Languages of Materials: English [eng]

Abstract

The School of Pharmacy Photograph Collection consists of images assembled by the School of Pharmacy and by Ernst Stuhr that depict the Pharmacy Building, pharmacy classrooms and laboratories, and exhibits for drug shows at Oregon State College. Pharmacy instruction began at Oregon Agricultural college in 1898; Ernst Stuhr was a member of the pharmacy faculty from 1927 to 1944.

Images from this collection have been digitized and are available in Oregon Digital.

Scope and Content Notes

The School of Pharmacy Photograph Collection consists of images assembled by the School of Pharmacy and by Ernst Stuhr. The photographs depict the Pharmacy Building, model drugstore, pharmacy classrooms and laboratories, and exhibits at drug shows held on the Oregon State campus. Many of the images include pharmacy students. Also of note are several images of the Eli Lilly drug manufacturing facilities in Indianapolis, Indiana, in the 1920s.

Several of the photographs were made by Howells Studio in Corvallis; images by Ball Studio (Corvallis) and Photo Art Commercial Studios (Portland) are also included.

The bulk of the collection is photograph prints; several nitrate negatives are also included.

Images from this collection have been digitized and are available in Oregon Digital.

Biographical / Historical Notes

The Course in Pharmacy was established at Oregon Agricultural College in 1898 with a four-year program leading to a B.S. degree in pharmacy, at a time when most pharmaceutical curricula were only 2-year programs. In 1951, Oregon State College inaugurated a five-year curriculum leading to a B.S. degree in pharmacy -- nine years before the five-year curriculum became the minimum requirement for all U.S. pharmacy schools. In 1999, the College of Pharmacy began offering a four-year entry-level Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) instead of a B.S. degree.

Ernst Thedore Stuhr served on the faculty of the Oregon State College (OSC) School of Pharmacy from 1927 to 1944 as Assistant Professor of Pharmacy (1927-1930) and Associate Professor (1930-1944) of Pharmacology and Pharmacognosy. His major area of research, medicinal plants, was reflected in the many articles that he wrote for scholarly and trade journals.

Administrative Information

More Extent Information: 85 photographs; 2 boxes

Statement on Access: Collection is open for research.

Acquisition Note: The photographs that comprise Series I were received by the University Archives in the late 1960s or 1970s. The Ernst Stuhr photographs were received by the University Archives in 1981 with other Ernst Stuhr materials that are now described as the Ernst Thedore Stuhr Papers.

Related Materials: Additional photographs of pharmacy students, faculty, and facilities are available in Harriet's Photograph Collection (P HC), the Adolph Ziefle Photograph Collection (P 076), and the Leo Sciuchetti Collection (MSS Sciuchetti). The College of Pharmacy Records (RG 105) provide information about pharmacy instruction at Oregon State. The Ernst Thedore Stuhr Papers (MSS Stuhr) document Stuhr's research and writing on medicinal plants and the pharmacy profession.

Preferred Citation: School of Pharmacy Photograph Collection (P 166), Oregon State University Special Collections and Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.

Creators

Oregon State College. School of Pharmacy
Howell's Studio
Oregon Agricultural College. Department of Pharmacy
Stuhr, Ernst T. (Ernst Thedore) (1900-1980)

People, Places, and Topics

Ball Studio
Drug factories--Indiana.
Eli Lilly and Company
History of Science
Oregon Agricultural College--Students.
Oregon State College--Students.
Pharmacognosy--Oregon--Corvallis.
Pharmacy--Study and teaching (Higher)--Oregon--Corvallis.
Pharmacy colleges--Oregon--Corvallis.
University History

Forms of Material

Nitrate negatives.
Photographic prints.


Box and Folder Listing

Series 1: School of Pharmacy Photographs, 1916-1948
Series I consists of photographs assembled by the School of Pharmacy depicting the Pharmacy Building, model drugstore, classrooms and laboratories, and exhibits at drug shows. Pharmacy students are shown in many of the photographs. Also of note are several images of the Eli Lilly drug manufacturing facility in Indianapolis.
Extent: 68 prints and 3 nitrate negatives

Box-Folder 1.1
Item P166:01-P166:03: Model drugstore, circa 1940
One print includes (from left to right): Ed Greyerbiehl, Lillian Polson, William Donald Fowler, James Bidgood, Bob Berman, Jack Kadau, Wade Stuart, John McPherson, Peyton Hawes, Ronald Esson, and Alberta Wilson (back to camera).
Item P166:04-P166:10: School of Pharmacy building, circa 1924-1945
Includes several views of the building under construction and one line drawing of the building.
Item P166:11: Pharmacy graduates, 1920
Composite print of individual portraits of graduates and faculty. Also includes images of President W.J. Kerr. Photograph by Ball Studio.
Item P166:12: Pharmacy alumni, 1948
Includes Frank Henry and Fred Meek. Photograph by Photo Art Commercial Studios in Portland, Oregon.
Item P166:13: Ernest Beals in laboratory, circa 1940
Item P166:14: Pharmacy class on annual trip to Blumauer Frank Drug Company, a wholesale drug house in Portland, 1916
Item P166:15-P166:17: Pharmacy classrooms, circa 1930
Includes one image of pharmacognosy classroom and museum.
Item P166:18: Student doing demonstrations at drug show, 1925
Photograph by Howells Studio.
Item P166:19-P166:24: Pharmacy laboratories, circa 1925-1940
One image depicts Howard Pertulla, who graduated in 1940; another shows Ernst Stuhr with students.
Item P166:25-P166:36: Displays of pharmaceutical and chemical equipment and procedures
Item P166:37: View of crude laboratory; a part of a course in pharmacognosy, circa 1925
Item P166:38: Household drug cabinet, circa 1940
Item P166:39: Pharmacy exhibit at Home Economics building
Extent: print and nitrate negative

Item P166:40: Pharmacy exhibit at Home Economics building
Includes Johnson & Johnson wholesale exhibit.
Item P166:41: Drug show at Home Economics building
Includes Johnson & Johnson wholesale exhibit.
Extent: print and nitrate negative

Item P166:42: Pharmacy exhibit
Showing commercial and scientific departments.
Extent: print and nitrate negative

Item P166:43: Pharmacy exhibit by University of Minnesota College of Pharmacy, 1928
Item P166:44-P166:52: Exhibits at Drug Show, 1931
Several photographs by Howells Studio. One image includes Ernst Stuhr. Several sample window displays for cosmetics are depicted.
Item P166:53-P166:62: Drug factories, 1919-1928
One image is from Parke, Davis & Company in Detroit, Michigan. Most of the photographs are of the Eli Lilly factory in Indianapolis, Indiana. These images depict the bottling department, labeling and wrapping liquids, the elixer and extract departments, filling liquids in small quantities, sugar coating, iletin finishing, capsule filling, and vacuum stills.
Item P166:63: Military Science and Tactics exhibit, circa 1925
Item P166:64: Home Economics Building, circa 1920
With a temporary sign, Home Economics Pharmacy, over the entrance.
Item P166:65: Chemistry laboratory, circa 1920
Item P166:66: Food Products laboratory, circa 1920
Laboratory for analysis of food products and the testing of ingredients in prescriptions and proprietaries.
Item P166:67: Fish Technology laboratory, circa 1920
Studying fish oils from salmon cannery to utilize by-products.
Box-Folder 2.1: Nitrate negatives
Nitrate negatives for P166:41 and P166:42.
Series 2: Ernst Stuhr Photographs, 1930-1935
Series II consists of photographs assembled by Ernst Stuhr. The images depict a series of exhibits on pharmaceutical topics, including glandular extracts and tuberculosis, and the attendees at a plant science seminar at Oregon State College. Several of the photographs are by Howells Studio; one is by Ball Studio. All are photographic prints.
Extent: 14 prints

Box-Folder 1.2: Ernst Stuhr Photographs, 1930-1935
Item P166:68: Apothecarie Shoppe exhibit, circa 1930
Depicted in the image are five men. Standing in the doorway, second from left, is Henry DeBoest.
Item P166:69: Exhibits For Your Health's Sake and Experiemental Animals Innoculated with T.B., circa 1930
Item P166:70: Various exhibits, circa 1930
Exhibits pictured include For Your Health's Sake.
Item P166:71: Exhibit: Crepe Decorations Donated by Dennison Mfg. Co., circa 1930
Item P166:72: Various exhibits, circa 1930
Exhibits pictured include Milk Foods & Modifiers, Digestants, Heart Tonics & Stimulants, Skin Affection, Antiseptics & Disinfectants, and The Source of Insulin.
Item P166:73: Exhibit: Interior of Pharmacy Shop, circa 1930
Item P166:74: Exhibit: Crude Drug Specimens, circa 1931
Item P166:75: Various exhibits, circa 1931
Item P166:76: Various exhibits, circa 1931
Exhibits pictured include Gland Therapy.
Item P166:77: Various exhibits, circa 1931
Exhibits pictured include Infusum Digitalis.
Item P166:78: Various exhibits, circa 1931
Exhibits pictured include Retail Selling, and others. E.T. Stuhr is depicted on the right.
Item P166:79: Interior of pharmacy, 1931
Drugs and customer counter pictured.
Item P166:80: Exhibit Effects of Molecular Weight
Item P166:81: Plant Science Seminar members in front of Pharmacy Building, circa 1935
Individuals identified in this image include F.A. Gilfillan, back row first on left; Dean A. Ziefle, back row fourth from left; and Ernst T. Stuhr front row first on left. Photograph by Ball Studio.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.