The United States Forest Service Video Workshop Videotapes were generated as part of Forest Service workshops held at Oregon State University. The productions were made in collaboration with OSU departments and individuals -- including the College of Forestry, Extension Service, and the Communication Media Center -- as well as the Oregon Department of Forestry. The productions were intended for a general audience and address reforestation, debris burning, log exports, logging careers, and tree diseases and pests.
Steve Woodard and Rick Fletcher with the Extension Service and Steve Elefant with the Oregon Department of Forestry appear in the videotapes.
All of the videotapes are VHS format.
All items in this collection have been digitized and are available online and on DVD in the reading room. Links to online streaming video are included with the detailed descriptions of the videotapes.
- Series 1: Videotapes, 1988-1989 Add to Shelf
- Arranged in alphabetical order.
- Box-Item 1.1: Green Side Up! Plant Right, Grow Right, 1988 Add to Shelf
- (14:19) Discusses the reforestation of clear cuts in Oregon including the appropriate tools to use, how to transport the bare-root trees, and where and how to plant them so they are protected from heat, wind, and animals. Steve Woodard, with the Oregon State University Extension Service, appears in this production.
- Box-Item 1.2: Log Exports: Industry Views, 1989 Add to Shelf
- (6:32) Regarding the effects of the export of raw logs from federal forest lands on the Oregon timber industry. Presents some of the pros and cons of the proposed ban on exporting raw logs from National Forest lands.
- Box-Item 1.3: Log Scaler: A Career for You?, 1988 Add to Shelf
- (6:48) About the work of log scalers in Oregon. Norm Ripley, Hal Lindlsey, Neil Middleton, Tom Petty, and Francine Snisky appear in the production.
- Box-Item 1.4: Reforestation: It's No Accident, 1989 Add to Shelf
- (8:27) About reforestation in Oregon. Written, produced, and directed by Elroy Brown, Kathryn Haberkorn, Jana Leinbach, George Reinhart, and Bill Wilcox.
- Box-Item 1.5: Steps to Safe Debris Burning: Don't Let Debris Burning Make an Ash Out of You, 1989 Add to Shelf
- (4:38) Produced, directed, and edited by Robin Bergey, Don Casey, Laurie Johnson, Ken McCall, and Warren Plocharsky. Steve Elefant of the Oregon Department of Forestry explains that debris burning is a major cause of wildfires in Oregon and outlines steps for safe burning of wood waste.
- Box-Item 1.6: What's Killing My Trees?, 1988 Add to Shelf
- (14:05) About tree diseases and pests. Ray Forrest, Master Woodland Manager, and Rick Fletcher, Oregon State University Extension Forestry Agent, appear in the videotape. Produced by James Heid, Ron Johnson, Merrily Jones, Dave Thorson, and Jimmye L. Turner.