The Hatfield Marine Science Center Videotapes consists of 12 VHS videotapes documenting the Center's research and public outreach programs. The tapes include a video transfer of a color, silent motion picture film of the construction and launch of the Totem buoy; a feature segment about the Center broadcast by KATU-TV in Portland, Oregon; and productions that provide general information about the Center. The collection also includes two videotapes produced by the Earth and Sea Investigators Program in 1994 and a 1997 production by Oregon Public Broadcasting on fishing in Oregon. A recording of the dedication of the Guin Library in 1990 includes speeches by John V. Byrne, Mark O. Hatfield, Janet Webster, and other Center administrators and staff. In an extensive interview by Ellen Pikitsch in 1987, Captain R. Barry Fisher provides information about his personal background and experiences as well as commercial fishing.
All items in this collection have been digitized and are available online and on DVD in the reading room. Links to online video are included with the detailed descriptions of the videotapes.
- Series 1: Videotapes, 1968-1998 Add to Shelf
- Arranged in chronological order.
- Box-Item 1.1: Construction and Launch of the Totem Buoy Project, circa 1968 Add to Shelf
- (9:28) VHS videotape of un-edited color, silent motion picture film footage.
- Box-Item 1.2: KATU-TV Two at Four Program on Hatfield Marine Science Center, 1986 Add to Shelf
- (4:18) A segment about the Marine Science Center broadcast on the November 7, 1986 Two at Four television program. Includes Bruce Koike, Assistant Aquarist, about development of new fish food for aquarium fish, and John Nichols, Toxicology Graduate Student Assistant, using sculpin fish hearts to study human heart disease.
- Box-Item 2.1-2.2: Interview with Captain R. Barry Fisher by Ellen Pikitsch, 1987 Add to Shelf
- Part 1 (1:02:54) and Part 2 (40:51) of interview conducted in Newport, Oregon, August 1987.
- Box-Item 2.3: Dedication of Guin Library at Hatfield Marine Science Center, 1990 Add to Shelf
- (38:46) Dedication ceremony on July 4, 1990. Includes remarks by Senator Mark O. Hatfield, John V. Byrne, and Janet Webster.
- Box-Item 1.3-1.4: Slide Tape Programs, circa 1992 Add to Shelf
- Two slide-tape programs about the Center's research activities and outreach programs -- program 1 (11:26) and program 2 (11:20).
- Box-Item 1.5: Earth and Sea Investigators Program - Demonstration Tape 2.0, 1994 Add to Shelf
- (5:03) Describes the Earth and Sea Investigators Program.
- Box-Item 1.6: Earth and Sea Investigators Program - Salmon Migration, 1994 Add to Shelf
- (46:19) Recording of the April 28, 1994 broadcast on salmon migration. This broadcast is part two on migration.
- Box-Item 2.4: The Oregon Story -- Fishing, 1997 Add to Shelf
- (57:42) Recording of production by Oregon Public Broadcasting. Provides a survey of the fishing industry in Oregon, including historical background.
- Box-Item 1.7-1.8: Video Tour, 1998 Add to Shelf
- (09:55) Two copies of a video tour of the Center. Produced for Oregon Extension Sea Grant by McGregor Bay Interactive.
Hatfield Marine Science Center
History of Science
Marine sciences--Study and teaching (Higher)--Oregon.
Oceanographic research stations--Oregon.
Oregon State University. Department of Oceanography
Oregon State University. Sea Grant College Program.
Science--Study and teaching (Higher)--Oregon.