The Rowing (Crew) Photograph Collection consists predominantly of images of rowing teams from universities other than Oregon State and of rowing events in the eastern United States. The University of Washington rowing team is depicted in several images. Other universities represented in the collection are the University of Wisconsin, University of Pennsylvania, Princeton University, and Syracuse University as well as Cambridge and Oxford Universities. The Poughkeepsie Races (New York) and the Childs Cup Regatta on the Harlem River are depicted.
Several images of Oregon State College rowing team members are part of the collection. Of special note is a photograph of several students participating in a "canoe tilt" in which competitors stand in separate canoes, and using a long oar with padding on the end, try to send their opponent overboard.
The source of the images is not identified; it is possible they were assembled by E.A. Stevens.
All of the images in the collection are b/w photographic prints. Many of the photographs were taken by national news organizations including Underwood and Underwood; International Newsreel Photo; Kadel and Herbert News Photos; Wide World Photos; and Pacific and Atlantic Photos. Photographs of the Oregon State teams were taken by Howells Studio and Ball Studio.
- Series 1: Rowing Teams and Events, 1922-1939 Add to Shelf
- Series I consists predominantly of images rowing teams from other universities, including the University of Washington, University of Pennsylvania, University of Wisconsin, Princeton University, and Syracuse University as well as rowing events in the eastern United States. Several photographs of Oregon State College rowing team members are also included.
- Box-Folder 1.1: Photographs Add to Shelf
- Item P015:01: Canoe tilt, circa 1939 Add to Shelf
- Possibly Oregon State College students.
- Item P015:02: University of Wisconsin varsity holds first workout on Hudson River for 1922 Poughkeepsie Regatta, 1922 Add to Shelf
- The Wisconsin University Eight, regarded as one of the strongest contenders in the annual Poughkeepsie Regatta, out for a workout on the Hudson at Poughkeepsie. Includes McCarter, Gerhardt, Sly Rhode, Burrus, Grunitz, Teckmeyer, Captain, and Coxswain Couleter. Photograph by Underwood and Underwood, New York.
- Item P015:03: Crew practice on Lake Washington, circa 1925 Add to Shelf
- Item P015:04: University of Washington varsity, 1925 Add to Shelf
- Item P015:05: University of Washington at Poughkeepsie Races, 1925 Add to Shelf
- Members of the University of Washington varsity crew at their training camp at Poughkeepsie, New York, ready to race against the best crews in the country for the annual title. Includes H.J. Dutton; Max Luft, Captain; Norman Sonju; Tom Quast; Harold Condon; Doro Walling; Harrison Sanford, Al Ulbrickson, and coxswain Art Wuthenco. Photograph by International Newsreel Photo.
- Item P015:06: University of Washington squad, circa 1925 Add to Shelf
- Item P015:07: Taking boat from shell house at University of Washington, circa 1925 Add to Shelf
- Item P015:08: H.J. Dutton, circa 1925 Add to Shelf
- Member of the University of Washington rowing team.
- Item P015:09: Oxford University varsity rowing crew on the Thames before the Cambridge-Oxford meet, circa 1925 Add to Shelf
- Photograph by Kadel and Herbert News Photos.
- Item P015:10: Raceboat crew of the USS Wyoming in training, 1925 Add to Shelf
- The ship's racing crew trains on a homemade training machine while the ship is underway. Photo by Wide World Photos.
- Item P015:11: University of Washington varsity, 1924 Add to Shelf
- Item P015:12-P015:13: University of Washington rowing team at Poughkeepsie, New York, 1925 Add to Shelf
- Oarsmen representing the University of Washington prepare for the Poughkeepsie Regatta. Includes Ulbricksen, Sanford, Walling, Condon, Grant, Sonju, Captain Luft, Dutton, and Wuthemon. Photos by Pacific and Atlantic Photos and Wide World Photos.
- Item P015:14: Preparing rowing shells for practice Add to Shelf
- Item P015:15: University of Washington varsity rowing team members, 1925 Add to Shelf
- Item P015:16: Princeton University Navy rowing team, 1925 Add to Shelf
- The Princeton University Navy on the water at Lake Carnegie in Princeton, New Jersey, in training for the selection of the varsity crew. Photograph by Wide World Photos.
- Item P015:17: Freshmen rowers ("barge"), circa 1925 Add to Shelf
- Item P015:18: University of Pennsylvania wins Childs Cup Regatta on the Harlem River, circa 1925 Add to Shelf
- Aerial view of University of Pennsylvania varsity shell crossing the finish line ahead of the Princeton University and Columbia University boats. Photograph by Kadel and Herbert News Photos.
- Item P015:19: Cambridge University varsity crew on the Thames river before meet with Oxford, circa 1925 Add to Shelf
- Photograph by Kadel and Herbert News Photos.
- Item P015:20: University of Washington junior varsity, circa 1925 Add to Shelf
- Item P015:21-P015:30: University of Pennsylvania and Syracuse University boathouses and rowers on the Hudson River, circa 1925 Add to Shelf
Two rowing shells on water with rowers; coach standing in boat. circa 1930.
Probably Oregon State rowing team; photograph by Howells Studio.
- Item P015:31-P015:35: Oregon State College rowing team members, circa 1930 Add to Shelf
- Photographs by Ball Studio.