These basketball and field hockey teams were under the jurisdiction of the Women's Recreation Association (WRA). From the 1940s until 1973, the WRA was responsible for coordination and administration of athletics for women, both intramurals and intercollegiate. Oregon State had one of the largest women's athletics programs in the northwest and, during the 1960s, about a third of the women students were involved in WRA activities. In addition to basketball and field hockey, women's sports included volleyball, softball, tennis, golf, swimming, bowling, archery, track, and gymnastics. Most of these were intramural teams; however, the Northwest Field Hockey Association was formed in 1938 and Oregon State women competed with field hockey teams from Oregon and Washington schools.
Return to Oregon State University Women's Basketball and Field Hockey Scrapbooks Home