Edrie Dale Trout was Professor of Radiological Physics in the Oregon State University General Science Department from 1962 until his retirement in 1976. He was instrumental in the formation of the OSU Radiation Center and, in 1965, established the X-Ray Science and Engineering Laboratory which he directed until his retirement. Trout earned his BS degree from Franklin College in 1922. Before coming to OSU, Trout worked for General Electric in research and development projects involving all areas of radiology. In addition to the many professional honors awarded Trout, including the receipt of an honorary Doctor of Science degree from his alma mater in 1952, he served as a leader in the radiology community, serving in such roles as President-Elect of the Northwest Chapter of the American Association of Physicists in Medicine and Vice President of the National Council on Radiation Protection and Management, both positions he held until his death in 1977.
John Paul Kelley was Associate Professor of Radiological Physics in the OSU General Science Department from 1966 until 1982. Kelley graduated from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute with a BS in 1947. Shortly thereafter he began work at General Electric where he met E. Dale Trout. The pair worked closely together on radiation therapy and dental radiology research until Trout’s departure from the company in 1962. In 1966, Kelley was invited by Trout to join the X-Ray Science and Engineering Laboratory as Assistant Director. There he and Trout worked together to develop radiology training courses and conduct radiation safety research, ultimately coauthoring more than fifty publications. Kelley was appointed the OSU Radiation Safety Officer in 1976, a position he held until his death in 1982.
Return to E. Dale Trout Papers Home