R. H. Robinson joined the Oregon Agricultural Experiment Station in 1911 as Assistant Chemist and served as a researcher with the Experiment Station until his retirement in 1951. Robinson specialized in the study of insecticides, fungicides, and spray residues (especially on fruits). According to an article in the November 2, 1951 issue of the Barometer campus newspaper, he was considered the nation's foremost authority on agricultural spray residue problems. He published extensively and produced more than 75 scientific publications and bulletins during his career. In the early 1920s, he was instrumental in writing (and supervising after its passage) Oregon's control law governing sale of insecticides and fungicides. In the mid-1920s, he worked with Henry Hartman of the Horticulture Department to develop a method for removal of spray residue from apples and pears; the presence of arsenical residues had threatened the apple and pear industry in Oregon. His method was used throughout the United States until new insecticides replaced the arsenicals.
Reginald Heber Robinson was born in Michigan in 1886 and earned an A.B. degree from Pacific University in Forest Grove, Oregon in 1909. He completed an MS in Chemistry at the University of California in 1912 and did post-graduate work in chemistry at Columbia University in the summer of 1914.
Leon C. Terriere joined the faculty of Oregon State College in 1950 as a researcher in insect toxicology after completing his Ph.D. at Oregon State. Terrier had a joint appointment in the Departments of Agricultural Chemistry and Entomology.
Return to R. H. Robinson Papers Home