Mines courses were first taught at Oregon Agricultural College in 1900. In 1913 the state legislature authorized the establishment of the School of Mines at OAC. Money was also authorized for the Oregon Bureau of Mines, which was placed under the School's dean. The School of Mines consisted of four departments -- Mining Engineering, Ceramic Engineering, Chemical Engineering and Geology. As part of cutbacks throughout higher education in Oregon, the school was closed in 1932. Mining related courses continued to be taught in the Schools of Science and Engineering. The school's deans included Henry M. Parks (1913-17), E. K. Soper (1917-18), C. E. Newton (1919-28), and J. H. Hance (1928-32). Parks was also director of the Oregon Bureau of Mines from 1913-1923.
Return to School of Mines Records Home