The office of the Dean of Faculty was established in 1964 to serve as the principal academic officer of the university reporting to the President. Advising the President on all recommendations from the Deans and Directors for faculty appointments, faculty promotions, and tenure and salaries, the Dean of Faculty also served as the President's representative in the Faculty Senate. In 1985, an administrative reorganization shifted the functions managed by the Office of the Dean of Faculty to the newly created Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs. The vice president is the university's chief academic officer and oversees special instructional programs, faculty personnel policies, and other academic support programs. There have been two people in the position of Dean of Faculty, Edmund H. Volkart (1964-1966) and David Nicodemus (1966-1986).
Named for State Representative John Mosser, the Mosser Plan for Undergraduate Teaching Awards was established in 1965 by the Oregon Legislature to recognize excellence among instructors of undergraduates. Under the plan, recipients determined by student ballot received cash payments of $1000 each with 47 of the awards granted to OSU faculty in 1965/66. The Dean of Faculty was responsible for the administration of the award and reporting on its operation to the State Board of Higher Education. Under fire from faculty for the possible subjectivity of the student voting, the OSU Faculty Senate decided not to recognize the plan and the subsequently refused to accept grant funding for it. The Legislature stopped funding the plan the next year.
Return to Dean of Faculty Records Home