The Counseling and Testing Bureau was established at Oregon State College in 1946 to provide guidance services to World War II veterans; services were expanded to all Oregon State students in 1948. The Counseling and Testing Center was overseen by the School of Education and the Psychology Department until 1962 when it became a unit of the Office of the Dean of Students. During the 1990s, it became University Counseling and Psychological Services; in 2006, the name was changed to Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS).
The University Exploratory Studies Program was established in 1973 as a special counseling and advising service for freshmen and sophomores, which was coordinated by the Director of the Counseling Center. The Center also administered aid and assistance for handicapped students beginning in 1975. Study skills and tutoring programs were conducted by the Center until 1975.
As of the late 1980s, the primary role of the Counseling and Testing Center was to provide services to Oregon State University students who needed assistance in formulating and implementing their educational and career plans, in increasing their self-understanding and self-acceptance, and in developing skills for establishing and maintaining effective personal and social relationships. The Center provided individual and group counseling; administered interest, personality, achievement, and aptitude tests; and served as a resource for OSU faculty and staff.
In 2009, Counseling and Psychological Services provides a variety of services to help students understand themselves better, create and maintain satisfying relationships, improve their academic performance, and make healthy and satisfying career and life choices.
The Center for Research on Student Life and Development was established by the Office of the Dean of Students in 1969 under the direction of Morris LeMay, who had joined the Counseling Center staff in 1964. LeMay became the director of the Counseling and Testing Center in 1971. He retired from Oregon State University in 1994.
Return to Counseling and Psychological Services Records Home