Chemical Engineering was established in 1917 as an independent department reporting directly to the President's Office; it was incorporated into the School of Engineering in 1932. The academic program in chemical engineering, also known as industrial chemistry, prepared undergraduate and graduate students for work in the chemical industry. Chemical engineering faculty are also involved in research to develop new technologies critical to Northwest industries such as electronics materials processing, forest products, and food science. During the 1950s, the department offered courses in nuclear engineering.
The Chemical Engineering Building was completed in 1955 with specialized teaching and research laboratories. It was later renamed in honor of George Gleeson. Gleeson joined the Oregon State faculty in chemical engineering in 1928; he was Chemical Engineering Department Head from 1937 until 1944, when he became the Dean of Engineering. J.S. Walton became the department head in 1945.
Return to Chemical Engineering Department Records Home