The Course in Pharmacy was established at Oregon Agricultural College in 1898 with a four-year program leading to a B.S. degree in pharmacy, at a time when most pharmaceutical curricula were only 2-year programs. In 1951, Oregon State College inaugurated a five-year curriculum leading to a B.S. degree in pharmacy -- nine years before the five-year curriculum became the minimum requirement for all U.S. pharmacy schools. In 1999, the College of Pharmacy began offering a four-year entry-level Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) instead of a B.S. degree.
Adolph Ziefle, a native of Michigan, came to Oregon Agricultural College in 1914 as head of the Department of Pharmacy. When the department became the School of Pharmacy in 1917, Ziefle was appointed Dean, a position he held until his retirement in 1945.
The Oregon Poison Control and Drug Information Center was established in 1979 by the Oregon Legislature and was a joint program of the Oregon Health Sciences University and the College of Pharmacy at Oregon State University.
Return to College of Pharmacy Records Home