The Landscape Architecture Department began with a four-year professional degree program in 1911, the first offered west of the Mississippi River. This initial degree program, Landscape Gardening, was a part of the Horticulture Department. From 1932 until 1947, the department was jointly administered by Oregon State College and the University of Oregon and provided instruction in landscape architecture for the Landscape Construction and Maintenance program in the Horticulture Department. The Department became part of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences after it was established in 1961, and beginning in the 1960s, students could complete an undergraduate humanities degree with a concentration in landscape architecture. During the early 1970s, the department name was changed to Architecture and Landscape Architecture. After 1982, Oregon State University no longer offered pre-professional programs in architecture or landscape architecture; some courses were transferred to the Horticulture Department.
Arthur L. Peck joined the faculty of Oregon Agricultural College in 1908 as Floriculturist and Landscape Gardener. He served as Professor of Landscape Architecture and Department Head until his retirement in 1949.
Donald Martel was professor of landscape architecture at Oregon State from 1947 until 1974 and was involved in planning of campus landscaping. Martel earned a bachelor's degree in landscape architecture from the University of Oregon and served in the Army Corps of Engineers in Europe during World War II. He died in Corvallis in 2004.
Return to Landscape Architecture Department Records Home