The Dean of Women's office was established in 1911 with responsibility for the general welfare of the college's female students. Anna Zoe Crayne was the first Dean. Kate M. Jameson, Dean of Women from 1924-1941, added many programs to the purview of the office, including the Associated Women Students, Mortar Board, and other honorary societies. The office provided housing and employment services, helped to coordinate social and activity programs, and counseled students "on matters of general and personal welfare." In 1962 the Dean of Women was placed under the new position of Dean of Students, and in 1969 the Dean of Women's title was changed to Assistant Dean of Students.
Return to Dean of Women's Office Records Home