The Oregon Agricultural College Forestry Club was founded on November 16, 1906 by Professor E. R. Lake and five students in the college's new forestry program. Meetings were held bi-weekly and alternated between technical and social agendas. All forestry students were considered members.
Early activities included hikes to Avery Park for a bonfire, an annual football game with the OAC Miners Club, exhibit preparation for the Oregon State Educational Exposition, spring timber cruising field trips, and dances. The dances evolved into the annual Fernhoppers Banquet. In the spring of 1920, the club published its first annual, the Forest Club Annual. The name was changed to The Annual Cruise the next year. Beginning in 1937 the Club broadcast a weekly program over KOAC called "Foresters in Action."
In 1925-26, the Club constructed a cabin at the College's new Arboretum (now Peavy Arboretum), and in 1929 hosted a meeting of the Society of American Foresters at the cabin. The cabin burned in 1949, and a new and larger one was completed in 1950. The 1950 cabin is still used by the Club.
The Forestry Club currently sponsors a Logging Team, which participates in an annual competition sponsored by the Association of Western Forestry Clubs.
Return to Forestry Club Records Home