The Amicitia Literary Society was founded on November 18, 1895 as an organization for male students. Its motto was "Friendship" and its colors were cream and blue. The society's public programs included short plays and skits, declamation, pantomime, debate, recitation of essays, and musical performances. The society participated in contests with other college literary societies and often placed highly in state and local oratorical contests. In 1900, the society became the first men's club to live together in a house, the forerunner of OAC's fraternities. Records indicate that the society became inactive or dissolved about 1912.
Return to Amicitia Literary Society Records Home